Shocking Customer Service

• Facilities

Guest's review of Oldham Clough Manor, Denshaw Bride

“Shocking Customer Service”

Written on: 24/09/2012

We recently got married at the Clough Manor and I am really disappointed that I feel the need to write a negative review.

Firstly I will compliment where due and say that the staff work very hard and the food is to die for.

However, between booking our wedding in November last year and getting married in July we were dealt with by 3 different managers with no handover appearing to take place between each as we seemed to start again from scratch each time with no record of previous arrangements held.

The night before the wedding, despite being told initially that there was a cold storage room where things such as our wedding cake could be stored in the week leading up to our wedding, I found our wedding cake (still in box thankfully) underneath the open plan staircase .... as you can imagine NOT IMPRESSED.

On the morning of the wedding the power was intermittently tripping out for a few seconds at a time. I queried whether I needed to be worried and was told not to as a call had been put in to electricity northwest and not to worry as they had a generator as a back up anyway ...... if only! As we sat down to sign the register at the end of the service the lights went out .... and this time didn't come back on. We were then advised that this time the power wouldn't be coming back on .... which meant we had to walk back down the aisle with no music :( Once we were out of the room we were told that in fact there was no generator and they would have to try and arrange one. One was found some time later and with a bit of juggling the wedding breakfast went ahead (a little late, with the speeches first rather than after). Although things ran a little late the day itself was still a fabulous wedding day (with a few tears of frustration rather than wedding emotion). The only other issue that night was a number of terrible leaks throughout the building which meant some lights didn't work on the landings and buckets were placed around catching rain, when not being knocked out of the way by guests who couldn't see on their way to bed.

My main issue is not the power cut, as I obviously don't hold The Clough responsible, and not even the fact that I was lied to about having a generator. I spoke to the hotel manager the morning after the wedding and he said he would speak to the owner and speak to me when we returned from our honeymoon. Once we returned I heard nothing from him until I chased him. I was then told that there was nothing the hotel could do for us as they were not responsible. When I said I was not happy with this he said he would have to speak to the owner again and would ring back the next day. This did not happen and I had to chase the callback for over a week. I eventually spoke to him after continually chasing him. He then advised me to email the owner. I did this and the owner spoke to me the same afternoon, saying that he had not been aware of the generator promise from the manager and could understand why we'd be frustrated after this false hope. He advised me he'd speak to the manager the following day and ring me back. He didn't do this and again I began the chasing process. Two weeks later after follow up emails and phone calls I eventually managed to get hold of him by phone. I explained how fed up I was in the lack of response and how all I'd ever wanted was a written apology and perhaps a goodwill gesture of an invitation for a meal or such like. I was assured that a written apology would be coming after he had finished reading 'our file' and of course they'd be inviting us for a meal on them. Again a few weeks further on we've heard nothing.

This could be a lovely place if only a few lessons in good old fashioned customer service were learned. Safe to say we will be celebrating our anniversaries elsewhere and our guests are so disgusted none will be returning in the future.

• Service