Condescending & unprofessional

Guest's review of Hays www.hays.com

“Condescending and unprofessional”

Written on: 02/10/2013

Thought I would share my recent complaint with you. Completely and utterly shocked by the way I was spoken to by a Hays representative.

Dear Hays,

I would like to make a complaint against one of your consultants who I have been speaking to over the course of the past few weeks.

I visited the Hays office initially as, like many others, I was searching for work. *** spoke to me and swiftly arranged a number of interviews which I was pleased about. The roles were not in my area of expertise but I was happy to go ahead and see if it was a viable option for me.

I was successful in one of my interviews and began work on the 23rd September. However it soon became clear to me that this was not a role that would be suitable for me.

I tried to contact *** on Friday 27th September to raise my concerns but she was on annual leave until the following week. As such I decided to wait to speak to her until then.

Having given it further thought over the weekend, I went to work on Monday 30th September and had a very professional conversation with my new manager, advising her that I did not wish to continue in the role. I had spent my evenings the previous week looking for alternative employment and did not feel that it was fair for me to waste any more of her time training me. She completely understood and we left on very amicable terms, adding that she agreed with me that it was the right thing to do. For your reference her name is ***.

I knew that *** was not in the office until midweek so I chose to wait until then to contact her. *** contacted me herself at around 10am on Wednesday to discuss things and I was completely shocked at her attitude towards me on the telephone.

I began the call by asking how she was, to which she replied, 'not great, I've just returned from annual leave and I've been told that you have left the role' which very much set the tone for the following conversation.

Firstly I was berated for not leaving a message with her colleagues on the Friday. Given that it was the close of the week I decided that the best course of action was to think about things over the weekend, but she disagreed and felt that I should have spoken to another member of the team. The way in which she spoke to me was extremely patronising, stating that a week was surely not long enough to make a decision about things. I completely disagree. I am quite capable of making sensible decisions in a length of time that I feel is appropriate. I explained my reasons for leaving (the fact that I wanted to attend other interviews and that it wasn't fair of me to waste my new employer's time when I was actively looking for other roles) but she dismissed this, instead telling me that I had dealt with the matter unprofessionally. She then made it clear that she did not wish to deal with me again and that given my level of seniority in my previous role I should understand the importance of staffing and good communication.

Frankly I was left with a very bitter taste in my mouth. I fully appreciate that as a recruitment agency your priority is to find employment quickly for committed individuals - of which I am. The role in question simply wasn't right for me and I feel as though I took the correct course of action by discussing it with my employer at the earliest opportunity.

I was made to feel extremely stupid by not leaving a message with Hays on Monday when all my previous contact had been with *** directly. I had apparently wasted both Hays and my employer's time by not advising them sooner.

I am a professional individual who worked in my last company for 5 years before taking redundancy. I am not unreliable or a 'leaver' as I was made to feel like. Finding the right job is extremely difficult in the current climate and I certainly didn't expect to be treated like an irresponsible child by one of your consultants. Her attitude was patronising and without empathy or willingness to understand my reasoning. I really was lost for words. I will make sure that I follow her advice and not waste any more of your company's time and effort.

Looking at the 251 comments on the reviewcentre website for Hays (yielding an average rating of 1.5) would suggest that I am not the only person who feels aggrieved about your company.