Downloadster.net - The GIMP

• Quality

kalovescope's review of GIMP Gnu Image Manipulation Program

GIMP Gnu Image Manipulation Program

“Downloadster.net - The GIMP”

Written on: 03/12/2012 by kalovescope (2 reviews written)

For a free alternative to Photoshop, GIMP is incredibly useful software. The site Downloadster.net provided a wealth of information in a clean, understandable format, covering everything from an overview of GIMP's applications to what to expect while downloading. All the information a user might need when considering an open source image editor is readily available.
The download was simple, and installation was not complex at all.
As far as usability: GIMP has a HUGE range of features, and it can get confusing for a beginner like myself, who has no experience with ANY image editing software. In a short time, however, between the help files and internet advice, I discovered how simple complex-sounding operations are, like adding a transparent layer or editing colour ranges. The sheer scope of features was a little overwhelming, and the multi-window interface was complex for me. The help files are useful and fairly navigable, but I feel that it was written more for users with a little more experience than I have.
I can tell already, however, that as I get more accustomed to GIMP I'll be able to do a lot. There is also a lot of information online for anyone with specific questions; GIMP takes a bit of learning but is well worth it, particularly for the price.

• Quality