Long-standing happy customer

cyclingrelf's review of SnapFish - www.snapfish.co.uk

“Long-standing happy customer”

Written on: 03/06/2011 by cyclingrelf (1 review written)

I first bought a set of 6 coasters from Snapfish about 7 years ago for a friend, commemorating her dog that had just passed away. I was surprised at how good the quality of the mats was and so returned to Snapfish when I wanted to make some personalised calendars as Christmas presents.

Again, the quality of the calendars was brilliant compared with the flimsy, tacky calendars I had got elsewhere the previous year. Snapfish provide calendars on good quality card with a professional-looking finish. I also liked the size. So two big recommendations already - coasters and calendars!

By now I was really into photography, so I came back to Snapfish again to buy photobooks and also made a mug for my brother-in-law depicting his first child. Brilliant service again for all of the above - the website was easy to use, helped in creating designs, warned when photos needed to be higher quality to print correctly and showed previews of what the finished product would look like in all the above cases. Gifts were well-packaged and arrived on time. So far, a flawless service providing quality products! They fairly often give out discount codes as well, so worth shopping around for those before buying, as it can really help with the price. Mind you, the price isn't that expensive for the quality of the product, but if you're feeling hard-up then saving a few pounds can really help, and Snapfish discounts are often quite generous.

Then recently I bought a set of placemats. Unlike the other gift products, there wasn't yet a preview of the finished product on the website. However, based on previous experience, I trusted the quality would be good and all would be well. Only a day or two after I bought the set of placemats, Snapfish sent through a promotional code for placemats, so I ordered another few sets as Christmas presents, being as I already had the design online.

As it turned out, the lack of preview was disastrous for my design - I based it on the image size given for placemats on their site, but this was actually incorrect and so my design was severely cropped across the width and it appears the photos print darker on placemats than they do on other gift products. For these reasons, I have knocked a star off for the Snapfish website - for other products, it is excellent. For placemats, it was really bad. I hope they improve it soon!

Anyway, with heart sinking, I set off for Snapfish customer services. And this is where my experience of Snapfish really shines!

I explained my predicament, that I wanted the mats but they turned out to be a different shape than advertised and about the darkening effect. After a few minor hurdles (they wanted me to initially post pictures of the product I received so they could see them, and then they gave me a freepost address to return them to) they credited my account with all 4 sets of placemats and I was able to re-make my designs in the correct size and I made them brighter to accommodate the darkening effect which I now knew about. 1 set has already arrived, and I'm really pleased with them. The other 3 sets are on their way. What a relief! If anyone else is wondering, make your mats in the dimensions 3050 x 2539 and make sure you bear in mind that the mats have rounded corners and there will be a little cropping around the edges, also the picture tends to print dark. If you design for all those factors, then you'll be really pleased with the product :-) Oh, I should mention they are glossy mats, so don't expect matt.

Snapfish didn't try to wriggle out of taking responsibility for the messed up design and dark pictures, they simply looked at the products and made amends. Just how customer service should work! If I could knock off half a star, then I would have done for the time it took to get things sorted out, but really it was minimal hassle and fortunately in my situation, time didn't matter too much.

So, after many years of custom and having bought a variety of their products, I would still heartily recommend Snapfish for their coasters, mugs, calendars, photobooks and even, with the proviso above, the sets of 6 placemats. It's nice to be able to write a good review about a company, and Snapfish deserve it.

• Set of Coasters £9.99, Wall Calendars £14.99 , Photobooks £24.99, Mug £7.99, set of 6 placemats £24.99