Premiums & Claims

• Customer service

Guest's review of VetsMedicover - www.vetsmedicover.co.uk

“Premiums and Claims”

Written on: 02/07/2012

I currently have 4 dogs, and I was a bit shocked when my VetsMedicover renewal premiums for my dogs jumped up from £18-£21/month last year to £28 this year. However, I've renewed the policy with my dog and took out another VM policy for my new puppy. This is because I've had good service from them with another dog I had with them, a dog which I had to put down this past January due to a brain tumour. The vet bills for my poor unlucky boy came to around £2000 with specialist vet, MRI scans, etc. Vetsmedicover was brilliant. They paid out within 2weeks- before the demand invoice from the specialist vets finally came to me in the post. VM premiums are now £28/month, which is a large jump- but I've shopped around, and I believe this is a fair price given the lifetime cover, amount of cover, and level of service they offer. Their first year price of £18-21 a month was really never going to keep them in business if you know anything about vet bills and how much vet fees keep going up year after year. Every episode of vet trips I take now for each dog for even a minor condition usually runs into the £hundreds. A simple surgery will run from £400-£1000. They may not be as competitive in price as before, but it's still excellent value for money imho, and I can see why they may have had to hike their fees to stay in business. So long as their quality of service and level of cover remain high, I'm happy to stay with them and take new policies with them. If you go to somewhere comparable like PetPlan, you'll pay at least twice or triple the premiums of VM, though you may gain other benefits like lost pets, etc.

Have you made a claim?