What a let-down

Kimm742's review of Umarex .177 Dome-Headed Pellets

“What a let-down”

Written on: 16/10/2012 by Kimm742 (63 reviews written)

Umarex is the parent company of Walther. They do a huge range of airsoft replicas, and they feature quite prominently in the world of Olympic-style taget shooting- the ones with the straight-jackets and baseball caps with flaps on the side. Impressive credentials, non?
And so I had great expectations for these beautifully-crafted shiny little pellets. A good barrel-clean, and off we go.
150 pellets later and I'm still waiting for a group to appear, something which will at least let me start to adjust my sights. They're not as wildly-placed as they were at the start, but it's not good- most pellets printing to the right BUT spread between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock, and varying from 1 inch off centre to 3 inches. From a BSA Scorpion in a supported prone position, that is terrible.

I seriously thought something had gone wrong with the gun or the sight, so I grabbed the Crosman Destroyers and straight away put 5 pellets through the bull. Nothing wrong with gun or sight.

Don't know what the problem is, they seem well enough made. Given that they are very bright silver, perhaps there's too much antimony in the compound which makes them too hard, so the skirt doesn't blow out sufficiently to fully fill the barrel and engage with the rifling?

I will persevere, but I won't be buying any more regardless of what happens.

Bertie's Response to Kimm742's Review

Written on: 12/01/2013

Surely, all it means, Kimm is that they are not compatible with YOUR barrel and if you had mentioned what make and model of gun you were shooting with, perhaps someone conversant with it could have given you some valuable advice.

I am lucky in that the three .22 guns I own do extremely well on Air Arms Diabolo Field. As one of them is an S200, that should be no surprise but after testing MANY different pellet brands, I was lucky to find Diabolo Fields were the best for accuracy and hitting power in both my Cometa 300 and SMK (Westlake) B2.

Especially with the B2, whose quality can vary quite a bit - or so it's said - I was very happy because I get my pellets from a supplier who discounts handsomely for quantities of the same pellet brand, so I save money!

Safe shooting, pal!

Kimm742's reply to Bertie's Comment

Written on: 19/01/2013

Yes, would have helper, wouldn't it.
BSA Scorpion .177. With pretty well everything else, I get one hole groups at 25 yards.

Kimm742's reply to Kimm742's Comment

Written on: 21/01/2013

Hold on a minute- In my original post I DID say what gun I was using- "BSA Scorpion, in a supported prone position".