Worth the hype...?

From 1 review

Laverdabru1116's review of Jack Pyke Hunter Jacket

“Worth the hype...?”

Written on: 15/06/2016 by Laverdabru1116 (57 reviews written)

Being a outdoor type, I've been aware of this brand for some time. The Airgun mags seem to have a contest to mention JP gear as many times as possible in an article. But when a regular columnist mentioned he gets a free set of boots from the company every year my 'cynical old beggar' alarm went. But, the waterproof/breathable claims & the occasional picture showing how well the English Oak camo pattern blended into the background got me interested. I had a look in the local Countrywide store & they looked well made, with some spare press studs etc provided. But £90 or so for a jacket that I would only use for occasional shooting or birdwatching forays? As luck would have it, I called into the store & they were doing the Hunter jacket for 1/2 price.
OK, what do you get? A medium weight jacket, with 4 exterior pop stud pockets & one internal zipped, a fold down bumflap & hood, & cartridge holders for shotgun shells in 2 pockets. Bit of a gimmick, the last, I feel. But generally I'm well pleased. As well as being a good outdoor jacket, I find it makes a useful cycling/scooter jacket in bad weather. Bad points - can get a bit sweaty in hot weather, hood & flap could be in the same camo pattern as the rest of the jacket.

Laverdabru1116's Response to Laverdabru1116's Review

Written on: 19/08/2016

Having used this jacket for a few months thought I'd add a couple of comments.
The rain hood zipped into the collar is a waste of time, all it does is direct the rain straight down your forehead & into your eyes. I've bought cheaper jackets that have a 'peaked' hood zipped in to keep the rain off your face.
Next - JP make a lot of fuss about the 'stealth, non rustle' material the jacket is made from, presumably for the 'Hunter'.. So why do they have very noisy velcro on the sleeve cuffs?