Spend as much fixing the carbs as the original outlay

Bag_E_Puss's review of Yamaha 2.5 HP Four Stroke

“Spend as much fixing the carbs as the original outlay”

Written on: 24/07/2013 by Bag_E_Puss (1 review written)

The Yam worked brilliantly from brand new and while we were on old petrol/gas formulations (without bio-component). Hovever since fuel now has bio-component in it, despite all my efforts to drain fuel out of the carbs before storing it, and using stabilisers, the Yam fails to start 75% of the time, until I clean out and rebuild the carbs. That in itself is tricky because five or six carb items are held together with two bolts, and I've lost parts overboard. Horrible to service.

I can send to a dealer for a service, leave it for 6 weeks and I have the same problem. Time and time again. I thought of buying new carbs, but this will only stall (!) the problem for 6 months, at 50% of the cost of the engine. Any bio-component in the fuel left for any length of time - a matter of weeks - will kill this engine. I have often thought of just heaving it over the side, but I like to think I am environmentally responsible, and my conscience has stopped me from doing it. The Yam is awful, but dealers must like it because it keeps coming back again and again.

Finechtyfred's Response to Bag_E_Puss's Review

Written on: 05/03/2014

had same problems for 2 years - local dealer fitted inline fuel filter 18 months ago and not had a problem since - just stared it up 3rd pull after overwintering with fuel left in.