Parsun F25W Electric/Manual Start

kieronr1's review of Parsun F25 BML Four Stroke

“Parsun F25W Electric/Manual Start”

Written on: 13/07/2013 by kieronr1 (1 review written)

Purchased this engine for pushing a Brig Baltic B420. Other than the fact the engine is a little on the heavy side and
could do with having power tilt and trim as standard I can't fault it in any way. Starts first time every time and ticks over like a mouses heart. I made bits of the water pump through my own stupidity but Simon from Bill Higham Marine in Manchester had me sorted in a few days. Excellent service indeed considering I live in Ireland and the parts had to be shipped over.
I agree with one of the previous reviews regarding the pee hole (tell tale for letting you know she's pumping water) being a bit on the small side which can be a bit of a concern until you get used to it. However as stated in that same review if you take a glance over the stern you can definitely tell the water pump is doing its job.
I find the engine very economical at mid-range revs but a little bit thirstier coming towards full throttle. Still every bit as good as a previous Suzuki I owned. Yes, there's the proof I changed from Suzuki to Parsun. Thankfully money wasn't the issue but I still saved about 40% and have absolutely no regrets.
Can't understand what people are saying about not being able to get parts, that's absolute nonsense. There is a parson.eu website where you can download drawings, parts lists and even order and pay for parts online. Bill Higham Marine carry an extensive inventory of parts for these motors and if they don't have it in stock rest assured it's only a few days wait with them. They are a fantastic outfit and will come up trumps every time.
As for vibration problems, again that's lost on me. I have seen more vibrations coming out of one of those rabbits you get from a girlie shop if you get my meaning. One of my friends told me lately that his Honda outboard was vibrating a lot and asked me to look at it for him, only to discover that a four year old girl scout would have tightened the transom clamps better. Moral of the story! before you beat up on the engine, check your own handy work first. Metal to metal is not a good idea either and transom pads should be installed or of course you are going to get vibrations.
As regards servicing, couldn't be easier with no special tools required. A decent socket set, screwdrivers and an oil filter wrench. Easier than changing a babys nappy.
A lot of people like to use the terminology "cheap chinese rubbish" without considering that probably 90% of the products they own or use on a regular basis are either manufactured or assembled in China.
Parsun outboards are as good as any other outboard in the ranges they offer and a lot of negativity is generated by die hards who own Hondas, Suzukis, Evinrudes etc., without remembering the days when these were also referred to as "buckets of rubbish".
Any engine will become a "bucket of rubbish" if you don't know how to maintain it and the problem as I see it is that a lot of mainstream dealers don't want to deal Parsun because it affects their "mark up" and hence rip off profit margins.
Just for the record if you do need parts in a hurry and are having some difficulty locating them, well then just buy a Yamaha equivalent part. They are almost 100% interchangeable and in fact a lot of Mariner parts will fit as well.
The Parsun F25W gets my 5 stars every time