I would not recommend

riker's review of Windows 8

Windows 8

“I would not recommend”

Written on: 01/12/2012 by riker (77 reviews written)

My sister asked me to go along with her to PC World to get a new laptop. Windows 8 was the only option available. We got it home and started to set it up. It took 3 attempts just to get Windows to recognise the details and load Windows for the first time. Once I saw it I knew it would be trouble. OK we managed to get it to recognise the wireless network at home. We successfully added Mozilla Thunderbird and got her emails through. However, Windows 8 does not come with media player. We had told the staff that the laptop would mainly be used for browsing, music and photos. It had Cyberlink media centre but the audio ripping did not produce MP3s. We tried for ages to get used to Windows 8. We even tried to download Windows 8 pro for an extra £24.99 because it's supposed to contain Media Centre - we got to the end of the order and it said the download was not available in this country! It is set up to look like apps rather than programs. I am used to an Android mobile but this was awful. We used the desktop view (one of the apps) but it was still nothing like any windows before - no start, no x to close. We took hours trying to figure it all out and then took it back to PC World and they agreed to change it for another laptop running Windows 7. I have the option of upgrading my recently purchased laptop for £14.99 but at the moment I will definitely be sticking to Windows 7!!!

Mcbutler's Response to riker's Review

Written on: 13/12/2012

I agree completely, its absolutely terrible

Satheeshsoft's Response to riker's Review

Written on: 08/07/2013

Basically Microsoft started curious work on OS Windows XP onwards. So they got success in Windows 7, all versions amazing performance. After some more inside tools with Windows 8 came. Comparing 8 to 7 then 7 is best i think. Windows 7 is compatible in new generation laptops. But Microsoft may invest more work on 8 to get compatible to users.Any way Windows 7 is hundred percent okay for a user.

Rickbee529's Response to riker's Review

Written on: 31/05/2013

I heard that most people are going to wait for windows 9 before upgrading !! What is the general thoughts on this I have windows 7.

Techbuddies7's Response to riker's Review

Written on: 01/05/2013

thats good
i am provivde windows 8 technical support
All Kind of Windows Problems Call Us +1-855-517-2433 (Toll Free)

Dheadshot's Response to riker's Review

Written on: 11/03/2013

It is a horrific system - Microsoft seem to have let their self-destructive streak run riot this time - but apparently there's a third-party program that improves things by letting you bypass the "not-Metro" interface and use it properly. I haven't used it (I'm not quite foolish enough to get Windows 8) but I generally trust The Register's opinion on products given their history, so I'm sure this program should at least help somewhat. Hope this information helps someone...

Dheadshot's reply to Dheadshot's Comment

Written on: 13/03/2013

Huh - seems they removed the link. Just google "The Register Windows 8 Stardock" (without quotes).

Dyno86's Response to riker's Review

Written on: 26/01/2013

I love windows.... I dont like WIndows 8 Desktop. Its great on the phone and works well. On the desktop yes it works well, easy to navigate, but it seems that Microsoft have just tried to copy the success of mac, but instead managed to fill my screen with loads of rubbish instead of leaving it at the bottom with taskbar shortcuts.