Overall very good, but not quite excellent

Harfyyn's review of Wheelies www.wheelies.co.uk

“Overall very good, but not quite excellent”

Written on: 21/07/2014 by Harfyyn (1 review written)

I was provided with a bike following an insurance claim. The Wheelies staff were all extremely helpful and I had no problems whatsoever throughout most of the process.

My two concerns relate to the actual delivery of the bike itself (a Giant Roam 0). Given the fact that I work full-time, I decided to get the bike delivered to my workplace, with the intent that I would ride it home.

Firstly, there was a tiny nick on the seat. Not a massive one, and not one that concerns me greatly, but one that concerns me a bit.

Secondly - and this is the reason for a downgrade from 5 to 4 stars - is that the equipment that came with the bike wasn't enough to assemble it. I understood that I would have to fit the pedals, but I would have thought I would have been provided with a spanner - even a plastic one - to make sure I could fit them properly, given that they attach with a nut.

Then, the front wheel needed realignment because it had been attached at a 90 degree angle. This is perfectly understandable because of the packaging, I appreciate that. But in order to realign the front wheel to be straight, I needed an Allen key. There was an Allen Key provided, but not one of the right size.

So, I just would have thought that - given the fact that I have been provided with a bike with an RRP of c£750 - that giving me a couple of small tools to enable me to actually make the bike rideable would not be too much to ask.

I haven't ridden the bike yet, so can't comment on how it compares to my original bike. I also intend to get it looked over by an independent specialist, as I am no expert in these matters.

So overall, at this stage, I'm at 4 stars. I doubt I'll go up to 5 because of the fairly major oversights mentioned, and there is a small chance I'll go down to 3 once the bike has been assessed.

• Goods purchased & cost