Incompetence

Mungo_Shuntbox's review of Wheelies www.wheelies.co.uk

“Incompetence”

Written on: 16/05/2013 by Mungo_Shuntbox (2 reviews written)

Having had my bikes stolen, I was informed by my insurers to use BikeReplacement. The initial call was poor - the handler didn't explain that basically I had to spend all of the £1500 in their online store, and that no change would be given; I had to get this information out of him. So a poor start.

Having made my order on Friday 3 May, I was told by phone a couple of items wouldn't be in stock till next week. Friday 10 May - answerphone message to call them back. Eventually I got though. Two items outstanding (a jacket and a helmet) which would be in stock by Monday, looking at despatch Tuesday or Weds.

Tuesday 14 May - I ring them again, the items were due in that day, they'd ring back when they were in. This was looking good as I was on holiday all that week so would be at home. They said they'd phone back by 8pm that night to confirm.

Thursday 16 May - they haven't rung, so I rang them. One item will now be in stock by Monday 20 May. They will not send out an incomplete order "because the insurance companies won't let them". So I am anticipating that it will have taken close to a month for them to process my claim.

I am angry because as a consumer my hands are tied by my insurance company making me use this service. If this wasn't the case I would have cancelled my order today.

I am taking this further with a complaint to Wheelies but also a complaint to AXA/Swiftcover who provided my insurance.

In a nutshell - if you're tied to using this company for insurance purposes, don't order anything they don't have in stock.

• Bike and accessories £1500

• Still waiting

Mungo_Shuntbox's Response to Mungo_Shuntbox's Review

Written on: 16/05/2013

Having e-mailed Wheelies, I will concede they have finally taken some action.

They have explained the delays - one supplier has just moved premises so much of their gear is delayed. They also owned up to making a mistake on my helmet and had to reorder it.

The thing that was interesting was that the reason for not splitting the order is not as such the instructions of the insurance company; it seems it is easier for Wheelies to invoice my insurance company if all the goods are sent at once. This is a direct quote from Wheelies by the way.

What that seems to mean is it's easier and more convenient for them. Having pushed them, they are now sending out my bike by immediate despatch, and the two outstanding items will follow when they arrive.

My thoughts are that I shouldn't have had to spend my time doing this, and I'd still prefer to go to a local bike shop who have a vested interest in proper customer service. But if you're having issues with them, I suggest you do what I did:

1 - ask for the e-mail address of someone who deals with complaints

2 - mail them asking for a split in your order

3 - tell them that you will be contacting your insurers to complain about substandard service

4 - contact your insurers and let them know they're using a substandard service