Rubbish communication & terible customer service!

Guest's review of Uttings - www.uttings.co.uk

“Rubbish communication & terible customer service!”

Written on: 16/06/2013

After paying a premium for my items to be delivered next day - they then did not arrive........
upon calling the company at 4pm they informed me that my items had not been dispatched because i did not prove my age!!!!!
(this is for a scope and x 1 pack of pellets!)
I was not informed i needed to do so until 9am that morning through email!
They had my phone number but did not contact me. I was of course at work so did not have a chance to check my email.
The chap i spoke to was rude & obnoxious and totally unhelpful!
Would not refund the premium i paid for the delivery and told me it would be another 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rifle scope & pellets

• Still waiting

Uttingscustomerservice's Comment

Written on: 26/06/2013

Unfortunately, we have a legal obligation to confirm proof of age when buying restricted items such as pellets or knives and it is clearly stated on individual product pages of our website that you must be over the age of 18 to buy that item.

We do employ software which links to the Electoral Register and in most cases we are able to confirm an individual's age through that software, unless they have opted out of appearing on the public-facing register.

Unfortunately, it is a customer's responsibility to provide proof of age if we are unable to verify through our own channels and, while I understand your frustrations, I hope you can accept that we are simply trying to conduct business in a law abiding manner.

As I am sure you can appreciate, we do have hundreds of orders per day and as we are a relatively small online mail order company, we do not have the resource available to make individual telephone calls to advise people of issues, such as age verification, which is why we opt to communicate via email instead.

Once we receive verification of age, we do send items out next day delivery. Without knowing the specifics of your particular order, if items are sent out on Friday, next day delivery will actually mean Monday (next working day), so if your ID was received late on a Thursday or early on Friday, then that may go some way to explaining why it would be three days later.

I apologise if a member of our team was rude and obnoxious to you and I would like to assure you that it is not indicative of our usual level of customer service.