Buying Binoculars on line

Guest's review of Uttings Outdoors www.uttingsoutdoors.co.uk

“Buying Binoculars on line”

Written on: 28/07/2013

I've been looking for a decent pair of binoculars for shooting and bird watching. I took advice from BASC, decided on Swarovski after trying them out at a major London store. Went on line and saw Uttings were a lot cheaper.

I ordered the binoculars and was impressed when Uttings gave me a one hour delivery slot the next day. Should have known better. Delivery slot 1030 to 1130. Eventual delivery 2100 after many e-mails and phone calls to courier and Uttings, neither of which were returned as promised.

Two lessons - don't give promises you can't fulfil, and if things go wrong, TELL THE CUSTOMER.

Brilliant binoculars, I would recommend Uttings but with pretty big reservations on quality of customer care.

• Swarovski binoculars £750.00

Uttingscustomerservice's Comment

Written on: 01/08/2013

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that you feel our customer service is lacking in quality.

When you first contacted us at approximately 4.55pm that day (following non-delivery between 10.30-11.30am), a member of our team spent time speaking with DPD and did call you back to advise that the driver's hand-held device had failed earlier in the day and he was working his round manually, but estimated that the parcel should be with you by 6pm. As our office closes at 5pm, it was not really practical for someone to wait around until 6pm to see if your parcel was actually delivered.

The driver, rather than deciding it was long past the end of his shift and the parcels could wait until the following day, persevered and ensured that all his parcels were delivered (albeit very late) which is why your parcel did not arrive until 9pm.

You sent your first email at around 8.30pm that evening (after the office had closed) advising that you had not received delivery. You then emailed later again that evening to say that you had received delivery from an apologetic delivery man. There did not seem to be much need for us to respond to either email as you had actually received the binoculars. I apologise if you were expecting a response. We did also, as a gesture of goodwill refund your P&P charge.

With regards to lack of communication, unfortunately, as the hand-held unit had failed, the system did not automatically update and of course, no-one was aware that there were problems until you contacted us to advise that the parcel had not been delivered as it should have been several hours previously. You could argue that we should perhaps not be so reliant on technology as, when it fails, it does clearly create issues.

DPD do achieve delivery on time, 95% of the time for us and, while we appreciate it is frustrating for the 5% of people who are affected, it is, currently, an acceptable level of service for us and we do monitor this closely.

I am sorry that DPD did not deliver the parcel to you at their stated time but hope that you can appreciate that behind the scenes, people were working hard to ensure your parcel was delivered to you.