Dont buy online from SportsDirect

Guest's review of Sports Direct www.sportssdirect.com

“Dont buy online from SportsDirect”

Written on: 30/11/2012

I bought my son a cricket helmet and a top for rugby for xmas. The products were cheap - however the cricket helmet was incomplete and in a badly damaged box, and so is unusable. If a product is unusable then it becomes expensive. The receipt showed that I could return it at a cost to me! I emailed sports direct several times and have still not heard back, I went into a sports direct store in wiltshire and was told that they dont accept returns from online (I cant understand why the same company cant do this). I couldnt find a telephone number on the website, and if you put a title on the feedback form it just referred you to the FAQ page and didnt send the email
Extremely frustrating.I am not enthused to find a new box to post this, arrange for postage - they recommend recorded!, then pick up the cost (which is over half of the cost of the item), when they should have sent an undamaged and complete product to me in the first place.
The product sent had obviously come out of a box that had been opened and had several nuts missing that held the face guard on. There was also a 'free' unrelated football stud in the box. I am angry at the very poor service and products delivered, the cost and inconvenience to me, and the fact I have something that is unusable and I cant give as a present. SPORTSDIRECT may have managed to fob me off with their rubbish product, however I will never return to buy from them .
'Caveat emptor' or 'buyer beware' is something that I would recommend - as my experience of SPORTSDIRECT has been so poor. I am certain that they are breaching the sales of goods act 1979, and I am certain that I could challenge them legally, however in this case , i will have to write off the money spent, put it down to experience, and learn NEVER to buy from SPORTSDIRECT again.

• cricket helmet