Three words: Could be better.

bluejeans88's review of Singletrack Bikes www.singletrackbikes.co.uk

“Three words: Could be better.”

Written on: 07/09/2013 by bluejeans88 (1 review written)

The bike I received was in a satisfactory condition. I've received bikes from other retailers in much worse condition.

The rear and front derailleurs were both tuned perfectly on my new purchase which I was impressed with as have often had issues with this before.

As for the Brakes, the bolts were not quite tight enough which led to them losing alignment. A simple fix however.

My only criticism is of how the headset was put together.
The bolts seemed to be torqued correctly, but the internal expander wedge was not lowered enough which meant there was a lot of movement in the headset.
The headset is one of the most important components on a bike and should have been correctly set up.

My first ride was horrible, I could feel the headtube moving about all over the place and my handlebars were rattling a lot.
I find this unacceptable with the cost of carbon fibre bikes and the risks involved if not correctly installed.

Apart from the one major issue, I'm relatively happy with the purchase. I think more attention should be paid to getting the fundamental parts of the bike perfectly set up to ride for the less experienced mechanic.

• Felt F5 Carbon Road Bike - £1318

Davygravy79's Response to bluejeans88's Review

Written on: 07/09/2013

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I'd just like to point out that in order to get the built bikes into the boxes for shipping the handlebars need to be turned sideways.

This means when you unpack it and turn the bars forwards again the headset will need the preload on the bearings reset.

Perhaps we can make this clearer in future when shipping bikes, that you need to readjust the headset along with the instructions to do so.

All the best