cheap components, ok value for a kids bike

a.mellis's review of Singletrack Bikes www.singletrackbikes.co.uk

“cheap components, ok value for a kids bike”

Written on: 04/07/2013 by a.mellis (1 review written)

The service was excellent. I was very happy with the runner bike from the same manufacturer but I did forget i had to adjust bearings (headset and wheel cones) as they were over tightened at least for my liking. The same was true with this bike.

One of the lock nuts on an axle was crookedly threaded and needed replacing. The rear sprocket is also not true on the wheel but given its low rotational speed and little legs with no torque acting on it I'm not too fussed. The gearing is almost too high, he is strong for his age and small inclines are too much so I think replacing the rear sprocket with something larger will make this more workable.

My son is at the bottom end of the size guide for this bike with an inside leg 2cm longer than the smallest size I think the bike is just a little too big but he is growing fast so we'll manage.

The cranks are long (125mm) but use a square taper and could also be replaced if needed but then we are into gearing issues again. Looking around the market I think its hard to find much difference here unless you go into the £200+ bracket and that is not worth the spend.

Plastic clips that hold the rear brake cable to the frame are too cheap and flimsy. One is lost already and i think I'll have to wire the cable to the frame.

The plastic caps that cover the crank bolts were fitted with a big hammer, one was not serviceable. They also have no slot for removal so a sharp tap with a hammer has needed to remove the serviceable one.

I'd only recommend this for prospective bike mechanics.

He had a 12" runner bike for 12 months and was great on that but the bigger frame caused balance adjustment issues. I took the pedals off while he learned to coast on this one then a couple of afternoons on flat tarmac with some traffic cones he was off. The only issue he had was getting started on his own.

• ADVENTURE 160 Boys 16 inch Bike