Good prices shame about the service

Guest's review of Hargroves Cycles - www.hargrovescycles.co.uk

“Good prices shame about the service”

Written on: 26/10/2013

I have bought 2 bikes from Hargroves and as I am not a regular cyclist I was rather surprised to find that the bikes arrived flat packed and required assembly. This would be fine if their instructions were clear. Regrettably they are not; they are written on a tatty piece of paper and the pictures are too small and totally useless.
After the thread on one of the bike pedals got worn and fell off (two months after delivery) I contacted Hargroves and was told that I had assembled the bike wrong.
I accepted that this might be the case but pointed out that the instructions were poor, which the guy on the phone accepted.
They then charged me for a new pedal, sent me the wrong pedal as a replacement, and then suggested that I accept a pedal which was the wrong colour as they could not find the exact replacement for the original pedal.
I just asked for a refund on the pedal.
I would much rather pay 5% extra and go to a local bike shop to get a better service and a bike that is already fitted properly.

• Goods purchased & cost

Visit hargrovescycles.co.uk

Hargrovescycles's Comment

Written on: 28/10/2013

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry you were disappointed to find the bike arrived as you describe "flat packed". We make it very clear on our website how your bike will arrive and shipping them safely in any other way seriously increases the chances of shipping damage.

We have taken your feedback onboard about the instructions. They are available on our website in greater detail and in the near future we will have detailed video guides available.

We highlight the potential pitfalls of fitting pedals incorrectly in our instructions in bold. We've made this really clear because we want customers to avoid this and it's a rare occurrence that this happens now.

In your second to last paragraph I think you are confusing the term pedal with crank. We are aware of what happened here and did our best to resolve the problem after a few issues from both parties.

If you are unsure of working on your bike we advise using a trusted local shop. We operate 6 shops in the South with thousands of regular customers placing their trust in our highly trained mechanics.

We hope you enjoy your new bike.

hargrovescycles.co.uk