Problems start to finish! misleading website, poor service

Guest's review of GO Outdoors www.gooutdoors.co.uk

“Problems start to finish! misleading website, poor service”

Written on: 08/10/2013

Looking for a new pair of boots and saw some I liked the look of on gooutdoors website. The website said they had my size in all stores so whilst out on business i popped in to the Clydebank store and was told that the website was wrong and that only 1 Scottish store would be getting the boots as it was 'tech' store, however even that store didn't have them in when the staff checked the stock computer. The Glasgow stores are never to get the boots in despite the website saying otherwise! A very cynical ploy to get people in to the store!!

I went to Ellis Brigham to try the boots on and found my size, because gooutdoors had the extra 15% off i decided to buy online from them. They arrived and fitted fine, however one of the insoles had split at the end, which is not a major issue and easily rectifiable or so i thought.

I contacted gooutdoors and have been told to return the boots at my own cost or to drive to a store (at my own cost and time!) so the boots can be returned to the manufacturer. They will then post a new set of boots out, this is highly unacceptable, handmade boots are not all the same size so any replacements may not fit my feet and also the cost savings I initially made will be lost by postage or petrol money. As a mountain leader who has bought many pairs of boots over the years, i have never had such poor customer service as i have received from gooutdoors. The website and customer service side of gooutdoors needs considerable improvement. I have contacted the boot manufacturer directly to see if they can be more helpful and sort out this simple warranty issue!

• Goods purchased & cost

Gooutdoors's Comment

Written on: 08/10/2013

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. Can we ask which boots you are dealing with?

Our website only shows the stock that is on the store's stock file, and if the item isn't available in that store, the store needs to remove this to prevent further annoyance to customers.

Unfortunately we can't refund or exchange an item without receiving the damaged item back. It's doubtful the manufacturer will be able to help out with replacing the item, however if you drop an email through to us with:

1) Name and contact details
2) The brand and type of boots
3) The nature of the issue with the boots.

I'll make sure our customer service team get in touch, to see if there is anything else we can do to help.

Thanks,

Brandon
GO Outdoors Web Team

Glasm's Comment

Hi Brandon,

The boots are the Scarpa Rebel Lites, and as of 13:51pm 9th October 2013 your website is still saying I can get the boots from all of my local stores which is not the case!!

The customer service team have already been called and emailed and were not particularly helpful, all I need is a replacement foot bed, these items are replaceable/removeable from the boot and can be supplied by the manufacturer, I do not need to replace the whole boot or exchange. I have sent photos as requested to the customer service team but they said the whole boots need replacing.

I can walk in to cotswolds and buy the foot beds for my boots if Scarpa don't send me the replacements out. A total waste of time and effort dealing with Go outdoors!!

As

Gooutdoors's Comment

Thanks for the response.

The item shows as available because you can order it online for free delivery to that particular store. This is communicated in the basket area.

Unfortunately we don't stock or sell just the footbed for these shoes, so we would have to replace the whole boot i'm afraid.

Glasm's Comment

Written on: 09/10/2013

Update

I have been contacted back by Scarpa and they are posting me out the replacement insoles which I am pleased with, they couldn't have been more helpful. They advised that the correct course of action is to send replacement insoles and not replace the whole boot which is what I said/emailed to gooutdoors and they apologised for the faulty insole which is more than what gooutdoors did! So issue now resolved.

I am disappointed that Gooutdoors couldn't do this themselves, it took one email from me to do this and I know other outdoor retailers would have done this but

As regards to the point about the website/basket, it should be made clearer that the store doesn't hold a particular Product or item/size in stock because it looks like you can just turn up to the store and find it (which is what I and others do!).

To surmise - good boots, good price, poor customer service, I have had to rectify a faulty good myself by going straight to the UK distributor as if I did what Gooutdoors wanted it would have cost me more money!