Failed to mention loyalty card

muso1956's review of GO Outdoors www.gooutdoors.co.uk

“Failed to mention loyalty card”

Written on: 01/08/2012 by muso1956 (1 review written)

I saw some Sealskinz walking socks online at a very good discount price of £13.50. I rang the nearest store (Pudsey, fifteen miles away) to ask if I could pick them up at the store for the same price and was told by a female shop assistant that I could. I decided to cycle over and save the postage which was about £4.50. I've not been before and the shop and it's range of items was impressive. When I got the socks I was asked if I had their loyalty card and was told that if I didn't I'd have to pay full price (about £30!)

I was told that the card was only £5 and then I could continue to get discounts on anything else I wanted.

Judging by the way that both shop assistants spoke and the fact that it wasn't clearly stated online I suspect that it's company policy to hide the loyalty card issue until the point of sale is reached. I think it's a bit underhand and it spoiled the experience somewhat.

Still a good price but I'd only just brought enough cash. So be warned if you decide to go to the store to pick up any offers you see online.

I also second the comments about staff. The first girl I talked to in the store said that there weren't any discounts on the socks I mentioned until I insisted she checked. The tills had queues waiting for quite a while also.

• Sealskinz walking socks

Ian84's Response to muso1956's Review

Written on: 12/08/2012

Sorry to hear of the issues and confusion that you have had with regards to the discount card. The discount card is a fantastic way to save money on the RRP, sometimes upto 70%, but at least 10% depending on the product. It is something that we actively promote in store and is certainly not something that we try to hide. Our staff are actually trained and tested to mention the discount card to each customer that they come into contact with, which in this case, seems to have been the problem both when you phoned the store and when you arrived in store. Hopefully, it hasn't put you off visiting us in the future.

Gooutdoors's Response to muso1956's Review

Written on: 29/08/2012

Hi there,

Sorry you had an issue with the Discount Card, rest assured we don't hide the fact a card is needed for in store prices, the Discount Card Price and Retail Price are stated on all points of sale in store. A store card isn't needed online due to the cost of delivery. Thank you for the feedback, it will be passed on so we can improve this in future.

GO Outdoors.