Two Hi-Gear tents with holes in them & a wasted weekend. GoOutdoors = Seconds quality

Guest's review of GO Outdoors www.gooutdoors.co.uk

“Two Hi-Gear tents with holes in them and a wasted...”

Written on: 03/08/2011

We bought a HiGear Vogager 6 when it was on offer at £140. When we put it up in the garden, we found a hole in the roof so immediatley took it down and called the York store (from where it was purchased). The girl told me that the Vogager 6 was out of stock in their store and across the country and they wouldn't be getting more in until next year. I asked her why it was still showing as in stock and available to buy on their website. She explained that it took up to a week for the website to be updated and did concede that this wasn't great!!! She passed me on to her manager, who refuted both these pieces of information, tent available in other stores (but they can't transfer stock between stores) and the website is updated every 24 hours.

The manager did persuade me to come in to the store and pick another tent. Which we did, making a special 2 hour round trip to York. There we did agree to buy a Hi-Gear Mojave 5, which she knocked £30 off the price, meaning we paid an additional £20 on the day.

By the way, Go Outdoors do offer a repair service if the tent is found to be faulty within 28 days, but you have to pay for this!!!

My husband put up the new tent and it was much worse that the first one. There were 3 holes in the tent, a hole in the pole bag, pulls in the front fly sheet, and what looked like some sort of sealant tape over the inside front door top hem, which was coming away in places. Oh! And the outside side door seam had been sown on the wrong way and there was a big dirty mark on the bedroom compartment sheet.

To say we were furious would be an understatement. When my husband made another special trip to York they swore blind that it had never been pitched, But I cannot believe that for a second. Needless to say we have got our money back and bought a tent from somewhere else.

• Two Hi-Gear tents, one at £140 and second at £160