Double retaining loop stroke of genius

Guest's review of Facewest www.facewest.co.uk

“Double retaining loop stroke of genius”

Written on: 26/09/2013

There's not much you need a watch strap to do: as you might imagine, the most important thing is that it should retain its structural integrity sufficiently to ensure your watch stays on your wrist. The strap originally supplied with my Suunto Core watch definitely achieved this feat but it had a major flaw in that it only had one retaining loop, and that loop was thinner and less robust than the strap itself. When that loop breaks - as mine did - you're knackered, regardless of the state of the strap itself. That's unless you want to wander round with an elastic band on your wrist of course, as I made myself do for a few weeks until I got fed up with it. Galling as it was to have to order another strap when the greater part of the old one was still perfectly serviceable, I forced myself to place an order - and the result was very pleasing: the new strap has two retaining loops, thus effectively doubling its potential life in service. Not much more the manufacturers could have done here really, apart from a third loop perhaps... Now there's an idea. I should mention that my distress purchase was made altogether less distressing by the loyalty points I discovered in my Facewest account upon ordering: they slashed the price by 60%, making the whole process almost enjoyable... Hat-tip to Facewest.

• Suunto Core Watch Strap