Wouldn't buy a bike online again

jo_abbotts's review of Cycle Gear UKBikes Depot - www.ukbikesdepot.com

“Wouldn't buy a bike online again”

Written on: 08/08/2014 by jo_abbotts (1 review written)

I bought the 2013 Ridgeback Voyage touring bike in frame size 50cm through the Cycle to Work scheme. Cycle Gear passed most of the commission on to me, and I agreed a price of £650 for a bike shown on the website for £600. The bike was dispatched a few days after my voucher was cashed.

The bike was delivered in less than perfect condition in a second-hand box, with component parts inadequately wrapped and a few extraneous bits of packaging and broken plastic. The mudguard was twisted, the handlebar ends were loose and falling out, the protective plastic from the left crank was missing, the crank was marked with a circular groove where the pedal had already been taken on and off with a tool, and there was a scratch on the front of the frame. I sent a photograph of the scratch to Cycle Gear, as requested and noted the other problems, but didn't get a response despite prompting.

There were no instructions or tools to assemble the bike. I had put the wheel on backwards (which I realised), attached the mudguard in the wrong place (which I asked about but didn't get a response) and accidentally left the headset loose.

No pump was included with the bike and I still don't know whether it should have been, as I didn't get a response from Cycle Gear on this point despite prompting. A pump is included on the 2014 model.

Two mechanical problems became apparent when trying to ride the bike: the left gear shifter jammed in the biggest cog position and would not change down; and the left pedal clicked at the top of its cycle. Cycle Gear offered a local repair under warranty for the gears. In fact the problem with the gears was resolved at the third attempt, and the pedal greased, locally at no charge.

There are a few issues to note about the design of the 2013 Ridgeback Voyage, which may be related to the combination of a small frame size and components not reduced in proportion. The cranks are long. This means quite a substantial toe-overlap with the front wheel even with my little size 3 feet, and the toe clips dragging on the ground whenever the pedals are upside down. Also there is a long handlebar stem, which entails quite a stretch to the hoods.

Despite the aforementioned teething troubles and design flaws I am enjoying my bike. I cycle to work through the countryside every day. And it is stable to ride fully loaded at the back with camping gear.

• Ridgeback Voyage touring bike £650

• Up to a week late

Ukbikesdepot's Response to jo_abbotts's Review

Written on: 12/08/2014

Jo_abbotts,

Thanks for the review.

Apologies you have had a couple of issues from our service.

The commission is passed on to the customer due to the Cycle Scheme taking a large cut, on a sale bike this is normally the whole profit. This is stated on the information pages on our site and at the time of contact.

We have to use different boxes due to the size of the bike and the way we send them part built. We are in the process of ordering custom boxes to avoid this happening.

We can send new mudguards if the problem has continued with the mudguard. If you send a picture of the crank arm we can offer some compensation regarding the damage.

We do offer free tools when these are in stock, again these are on order but we are still awaiting these.

Apologies for missing the pump question. Yes they should come with the pump and we will get one out to you ASAP.

We are glad the problems have been resolved and you are enjoying the bike.

Many thanks
Staff @ Cycle gear

Jo_Abbotts's reply to Ukbikesdepot's Comment

Written on: 08/10/2014

I'm thinking this response is more to do with public relations than customer service. 'We will get one out to you asap'. Really? 2 months later no pump has arrived.
And I'm not going to trouble myself to send a picture of the groove on the crank. I would need to take the pedal off to do that, and borrow a camera. Going by past experience with the previous photographs I sent of the front scratch etc, I have no expectation of any 'compensation' for damage actually materialising.