The best credit card ever?

alistairbrooks's review of CompareandSave - www.compareandsave.com

“The best credit card ever?”

Written on: 24/07/2012 by alistairbrooks (5 reviews written)

I've never been a big one for balance transfer credit cards (in fact I blame for many of the UK's current problems). I tried to stooze once, but I was snoozing (sorry for the very worn joke). I forgot to switch back at the right time and got clobbered with a massive interest payment.

It was only when I discovered a few of years ago about the additional cover credit cards can offer (when XL airlines went bust) that I started to keep one for bigger purchases. It was one from my bank, nothing special, and I've always just paid it off. However, the other day I saw a advert for Cash-Back credit cards and was intrigued. Points based reward schemes always seemed confusing (other than airmiles), but Cash-Back is a simple enough concept*.

The CompareandSave.com website itself was well laid out and simple enough to use (in a palette of fairly mundane greys with flashes of vibrant olive green) and delivered, but what sets these portals apart is the range of products that they have winkled out. They have credit card companies that I have never even heard of and offers which are clearly tailored to turn the heads of those of us smart enough to switch regularly.

The particular head-turner that caught my eye was from Capital One (The American credit card company) and it was all singing and all dancing (with an encore)! 5% Cash-Back for 3 months (and then 2%), but it also comes with a protection against the cost of the things you buy going up and (no doubt to the disgust of the big electrical retailers) extended warranty on the things you buy. There's also a concierge service to get tickets and flights booked etc!

It came though the post the other day and I must say I feel a little bit posh with it in my wallet!

*I have since found out that Santander have confused the Cash-Back concept with a 123 card!