Comprehensive test - glasses upsold

Guest's review of Tesco Opticians - www.tescoopticians.com

“Comprehensive test - glasses upsold”

Written on: 02/06/2014

Went to Tesco because my specs broke and I felt that my previous optician had been prescribing new glasses when I didn't need them and that they were selecting the most expensive options for me.

Booking onlne was straightforward and I was reminded of the appointment by text.

Friendly and welcoming and probably the best eye examination I have had in over 40 years of wearing glasses.

Was told that a very old replacement pair were ok but I wanted new ones anyway to replace the broken ones

Was steered to the most expensive frames and an arm was waved towards the cheaper ones. Went for the cheaper ones £65 each (bogof) which were of good quality.

When it came to varifocal lenses was steered towards the most expensive which suited me anyway but I would have liked more time/info to make a choice. £159

Non-reflective coating was promoted strongly £30 (each pair) and when I mentioned photochromatic so was this option £49.

Total £333 for 2 pairs (bogof) which is quite a bit more than the advert headline of £70 (for single vision lenses).

Marking up was excellent and I received a text within a week to say they were ready. Fitting was done well.

• £333 for 2 pairs of varifocal glasses one pair with photochromatic lenses