Poor quality of made for you varifocal lenses

Guest's review of Tesco Opticians - www.tescoopticians.com

“Poor quality of made for you varifocal lenses”

Written on: 19/05/2013

These were the concerns during the prescription of my glasses (costing £330)
1. Optometrists prescription was way off the mark
2. There was a scratch mark on one of the lenses
3. There was heat mark on the Armani frame poor workmanship
4. The varifocal zone was incorrect positioned (too high) as I was unable to see distance with ease again not good enough.

Went to tesco second time
The staff is courteous, trained but no way near the proper opticians like specsavers of vision express
Most of the concerns remained. Unable to see distance with ease (again poor prescription).
The varifocal was incorrectly positioned.
Again have been in touch with tesco about the prescription and varifocal adjustment being not good enough. I do not think they have the capability to deal with complex prescriptions like varifocal.
The highest quality of TESCO varifocal is no where near the midrange of vision express.

• Goods purchased & cost

Niclilly's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2013

I wear Varifocals, and decided to try Tesco's, BIG mistake. after having my eyes tested 3 times all with a different prescription, I ended up going back to Specsavers and found that the prescription way off. during the 2 months I had trying to sort my glasses out they made them up incorrectly with the reading bit in the wrong place, then they got the prisms wrong (that hurts your eyes). eventually they agreed to give me a full refund, I saw the optician whilst getting my refund and he said "of well some you win some you lose" never again will I go to Tesco's for glasses. Also as a foot note the way they test you eyes is very old fashioned

Paul-Conway's Comment

Written on: 20/07/2013

I bought two-for-one varifocals from the Chichester, West Sussex store. I have previously worn glass but was assured by the Tesco optician manager in store that they only do plastic lenses because they are now so good, and safer. Paid £410 plus £20 for a cheap mid-range computer pair. The varifocals showed after a few weeks, but I simply couldn't see more than 25 feet, a complete blur. Returned to shop, checked the prescription, bent the frame around, etc, try that for a week. Back to store after a week, can't read number plates or road signs, dangerous. They ordered new lenses, try that for three monts to 'let your eyes adjust'. Back after three months, still blurred beyond perhaps 30 feet. Manager tells me it is his last day, requests I leave it for a few weeks because they won't have anyone in store to sort it out.

I must be an idiot because I left it for a few weeks, now wearing my old glass varifocals that are still fine (just I now do a lot of computer work so wanted stronger lenses lower down). Went back to store to see the new manager around three weeks ago. He says it is a mystery, he will consult with someone and call me,

Two weeks no call. I cll him and he says "must be because you are used to glass, we can't do glass. We could put a single vision lens in for you, that would be OK for driving". I point out that I bought varifocals because I want specs that will do distance and close work. No response. I ask what refund I would get if I allowed them to fit the cheap single vision lenses. Ready? He says they wouldn't give me a refund of any sort because there was "nothing wrong with the spectacles" (apart from I can't see with them of course, is that fit for purpose?)
Currently going through a complaints procedure with Tesco without much hope of them being reasonable, but if not will end up in small claims court. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, buy any spectacles from this bunch of know nothing greedy people, they will take your moneey and shaft you.