Incomptetent or Scamers

VALA111's review of Specsavers - www.specsavers.co.uk

“Incomptetent or Scamers ”

Written on: 05/05/2012 by VALA111 (1 review written)

I've been regularly checking my 5 y.o daughter eyes at Woking Specsavers since she was 3. Suddenly during our last visit the doctor( Chinese looking man) after spending 2 minutes on the examinations concluded that my daughter needs glasses. I was entirely shocked and confused and Dr quickly started to choose the wright lenses for her and asked whether she able to see better in a glasses but she said she sees worse with a glasses than without. I was very much surprise to all of it, as during examination she was able to read all the letters on the wall (so small that even I was straggling to understand what it is), and when I asked him why he thinks so, he said that she MAY having difficulty to read something close, though he did not check whether she is able to read close. When I pointed on that, he became very angry with me and put in front of her nose small print (smaller than in news papers) containing words of some scientific meaning (it is for 5 y. o child, when most children only get familiar with a simple words). He roughly pointed on small prints thrown page in front of my daughter’s nose and asked her to read. However, my daughter got the page and quickly read couple of sentences without difficulty. The angry doctor said she still needs glasses because I mentioned at the beginning of examination that at the end of the day she sometimes rubs her eyes and they can be red when she tired. But, making such a serious step to put a child on lenses just without any proper medical base to it?? And to my great great astonishment he said that it already in a system that her eye sign is bad as it is recorded on their system from the previous year. But I’ve got only one child and I remember as clear as it can be that previous examination last year confirmed that her sign is perfect! Is it a scam by specsavers to make you to spend some money on a glasses?

Same day I've booked an appointment with another optician and in couple of days a doctor after spending at least 25 minutes in detail eyes tests and treating my child as a child announced that her eye sign is absolutely perfect and she does not need any glasses!!!

I am thinking may be Specsavers got a informal instruction to put as much people on a glasses as possible and make a profit from selling their lenses to these all people. But whether the child’s health, the emotions of children who may begin wear glasses when they don't need it could overweight margins for profits? Or we are in such deep recession that nothing is matter anymore?

• Goods purchased & cost

Guest's Response to VALA111's Review

Written on: 01/08/2012

To be honest, the first optometrist could be right. Reading letters alone doesn't suggest perfect vision. Children have large amounts of accommodative ability, so can mask long sightedness(which is what the first optometrist was suggesting). It means they can read the letters but are putting alot of strain on there eyes by doing it. Am not saying he's right but to be on the safe side keep an eye out for any sypmtoms of headaches, eyestrain and not wanting to read stuff up close; especially towards the end of the day.