Products of variable quality

ghislain's review of Made.com - www.made.com

“Products of variable quality”

Written on: 04/10/2012 by ghislain (1 review written)

I have ordered a number of items from made.com including the flagship "Jonah" sofa (3-seater, grey colour) and a large double bed from the same collection. I am overall disappointed.

The sofa looks relatively ok, although it looked much better on the picture. But the bed frame proved to be less of a success: it does not sound particularly robust and the headboard and footboard surface is not uniform, producing unaesthetic shades in daylight. It was priced at £700.

But what made my experience with them terrible was the 4 flynn dining chairs I've also ordered. The forefront feet of the chairs were all defective. Unfortunately, you realise that only after assembling them: the screw fixings are of very poor quality, making the chairs unstable and basically not usable. Was the support team helpful here? They were sympathising at first - I received a long and apologising email asking me to send pictures, which I did - but never got any reply from them. I sent 2 further emails, but finally gave up.

All in all, made.com was a major disappointment: I was very excited by their website, but the real-life items did not live up to my expectations. The support is not reliable, nor responsive. You end up wasting a lot of time chasing them up without tangible results. It is now clear that the low prices are not only explained by the absence of "middle men", as they like to pretend, but also by the average - if not poor - quality of their items. I would therefore not recommend to buy any furnitures at made.com. John Lewis is a much better alternative where the not so higher prices are fully justified by a very high level of service.

• Flynn dining chairs, 3-seater Sofa Jonah, large double bed frame Jonah