Unresponsive, horrible customer service

Guest's review of Make My Trip, www.makemytrip.com

“Unresponsive, horrible customer service”

Written on: 07/07/2014

Here is an account of my experience with make my trip. Travellers to India beware of booking with them. You are on your own with this poorly run agency. Below is a copy of a letter I wrote them. Their short response was they closed my file. They do not respond to calls or letters. They wear you out by bouncing you around different people. Beware of these This e-mail provides documentation following many phone telephone calls concerning various problems with our trip to India.

I would like to quote a phrase from one of the the original e-mails received from MakeMy Trip, “with this promise from all of us to make your holiday an unparalleled experience”. This is an admiral goal and has resulted in some of the growth of your company. As I reflect on our month-long trip, I would like to share some general observations which will help with improved services:
The original itinerary set up an unreasonable expectation; many tourist sites were promised and not delivered.
The itinerary was not communicated to our driver with the result that most of the tourist sites listed were not visited.
The proposed itinerary did not account for the distances or travel time between cities. More than once we would arrive and be told that there was not enough time to visit recommended sites. Over half of the sites were never visited due to time constraints.
During the initial e-mails, I very specifically requested all 4 star hotel accomodations. Many of the hotels were not up to this standard.
Below are the incidences which resulted in many telephone calls to makemytrip agents:
All transfers were listed as included. When we arrived in Jaiper, we had to arrange and provide our own transportation to the hotel.
On our first day the originally assigned driver had made multiple commitments to us and other clients. We complained and were assigned another driver the following day. This meant that four of the promised five sites were not visited.
There were safety issues with the vehicle. We experienced two blow-outs that could have created very serious accidents. One was a front tire blowout at high speeds at night. After removing all our suitcases from the trunk to the roadside, to access the spare, we noticed that the tires were dangerously bald. Within a day there was a second blow-out once again endangering our lives.
After a six hour drive from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer, we arrived late in the evening and our driver could not locate the tent site called Camp E Khas, the hotel referenced in our itinerary. We eventually discovered that this hotel was closed and a new location called Janj Resort Sam had taken their business.
At this tent site we were assigned two tents and then brought to the dining area.
The food was substandard and barely edible. Apparently locals were on site and some were inebriated and annoying.
The tents were filthy. The sheets looked like they had been slept on for weeks.
The area next to the toilets had several cigarette butts and stains, obviously not cleaned after the last clients.
The screen door zippers were broken.
Late into the evening there was loud singing and music piped over big speakers.
Wild dogs were barking and fighting most of the night around the tent leaving us shaken and frightened for our safety throughout the night!
The first night a sunrise camel ride was scheduled for the following day with site employees.
No camel ride happened the next day. We drove down the rode, well after sunrise and scheduled a camel rode on our own.
On arrival, after assessing the serious problems with this tent site, I called our travel agent, Hiten Develekar, seeking assistance to remedy this situation.
He assured me that a manager would call me first thing in the morning. These phone calls did not provide resolution to these problems.
The first night was so miserable that we decided that we needed to salvage this part of the trip and made a decision to continue on to Bikaner the following morning. We waited for a phone call in the morning which meant that some of the scheduled events did not happen.
When we checked out early next morning, we met another van load of Indian travelers from Mumbai who decided to forgo breakfast due to the cleanliness of the food and checked out early because of the poor accommodation conditions.

Because of the above listed problems, I feel that there needs to be a partial refund of costs. I request, that at a minimum, the entire cost for two nights in Jaisalmer (Rp 9,600) and the cost for an additional night in Bikaner (Rp 4,200) be refunded promptly. I feel that an additional Rp 7,000 would cover the inconvenience and distress we endured. I would like this resolved in the next 30 days. To date we have not published any of the problems we encountered. If this is not resolved we will be forced to air our grievances on the internet so that other tourists do not encounter these problems.

Makemytrip's Comment

Written on: 27/07/2014

Dear Customer,

We were looking into your concern but have found that a few important details are missing.

Please provide us with the following details:

- Booking ID or
- Email address used at the time of booking

We await your response to get the matter checked at our end.
Assuring you best of our services.

Team-MakeMyTrip Care

Mangala's Comment

Written on: 28/07/2014

My numerous efforts contacting and chasing you guys around, my photos, detailed emails did not get any results. Your customer revive is non existent and inept. Go through your complaint files and find the email above. I would not be surprised if you have hundreds of complaints making this impossible to do!!!

The Tourist Ministry should conduct an impartial investigation and maybe even shut you down!