Wrong flight information resulting in missing flight

britishconsumer's review of Holiday Genie www.holidaygenie.com

“Wrong flight information resulting in missing flight”

Written on: 06/06/2014 by britishconsumer (8 reviews written)

We booked our flights with Thai airways from Flying Eagles Ltd t/a Holiday Genie.com. We received the following flight details;

Flight 1
Departure Monday, 07 Apr 14 12:30 LHR
Arrival Tuesday, 08 Apr 14 06:05 BKK
Duration 11hr 35min

Flight 2
Departure Monday, 28 Apr 14 01:10 BKK
Arrival Monday, 28 Apr 14 07:15 LHR
Duration 12hr 05min

We were concerned about the arrival time in Flight 1 because considering the flight takes 11hr 35min plus time difference of 7hr, arrival time would have been 18hr 35min after take off from LHR. This means we would be arriving around 18.05hrs on Tuesday 08 Apr and not at 06.05 as shown.

We rang the Holiday Genie and was told by a male operator that it is 06.05pm and not 06.05am as we thought. At that time I actually queried why didnt it show 18.05 or state am or pm in order to eliminate any misunderstansing, but he insisted that is how Thai airways do it. At that juncture he drew my attention to the departure time of Flight 2 where he pointed out that the departure time is 01.10pm and not 01.10am because as he puts it - it is obvious no flights takes place in that early morning.

On Monday 28/04/14 we arrived at the airport at 10:15am well in advance to promptly check in for our flight which we were told would be at 01:10 pm.
It was at this point that we were told we have missed our flight.

I will not at this point reiterate the panic and total upheaval both of us was suddenly plunged into followed by the draconian charade and extra costs (£200 for stand by tickets) enforced by Thai Airways in order for us to get ourselves back to the UK.

On return to Britain, I immediately contacted Holiday Genie and spoke to a Jason. When I started to explain the flight times in Flight 1, Jason immediately interjected to say that we should arrive in Bangkok at 06.05 in the morning (am). I had to correct him by saying that we actually arrived at 06.05 in the late afternoon (pm).

I therefore highlighted how the times could have been easily misinterpretated, he blushed and allowed me to carry on. Jason then immediately refuted any responsibility by drawing our attention to their clause at the bottom of the electronic ticket that stated that we should have re-confirm our flights whereupon we would have been advised the correct flight time by Thai airways at that point. I replied that we did reconfirm our flights and offered to email him a copy of the print screen of the reply I got back from Thai airways advising there is no need to reconfirm flights. Jason was adamant we approach Thai Airways.

When I contacted Thai Airways, I was told there was no need to reconfirm flights and this misinformation is due to Holiday Genie as they issued the tickets and Thai Airways cannot get involved with issues regarding agents.

I contacted Holiday Genie again and was told to put my complain in an email which I did. Apart from an automatic Out of Office type response confirming they have received my complain email, I have not heard back with their reply to my complain. Past 28 days, as requested by ABTA process, I had to send another final email regurgitating my complain which I did.Again I received their automatic out of office stonewalling.

I am totally livid with Holiday Genie.com t/a Flying Eagles for their insistance not to admit liability and responsibility for misinformation which has ended up in costing us £200 and spoiling our annual holiday which had been fantastic until the very end when this charade started.

Be assured that I will be carrying this complaint right till the bitter end, involving watchdog if I have to, because to do nothing would be a grave diservice to fellow consumers by allowing misinformation to flow unchecked.

• Quality