My Little Buggy

CE-S's review of Wheelfreedom - www.wheelfreedom.com

“My Little Buggy”

Written on: 13/08/2013 by CE-S (1 review written)

When my ankle fracture was confirmed, the following week's heavy schedule, to which I was committed, seemed impossible. I thought about a self-propelled wheelchair but the Red Cross don't have these in the London area. However, they supplied Wheelfreedom's contact details and my problem was solved!

My little red buggy arrived quickly, and allowed me not only to manage my schedule, but also to have a lot of unanticipated fun. Instead of being housebound with two crutches I have been able to shop locally, go to shops further afield by using buses, go to the hairdresser's, and visit my park (Greenwich) several times to enjoy the open air, the band, the spectacular view, and the cafe.

The follow-up at the hospital involved a long day in several departments. It could have been miserable, as it clearly was for many of the other patients. However, in my comfortable little buggy, with a thermos and book in the basket, I was perfectly content.

It was the same on crowded, swelteringly hot buses: no matter how uncomfortable and squashed the other passengers were, I had my own safe little space and could relax. Getting on and off the bus was no problem, and I recommend reversing in, as it is much safer to return to the pavement facing forwards.

A lot of people have asked me about it, including a family with a member in a wheelchair because his own mobility scooter was much too heavy to put in the car. To everyone, I have heartily recommended both my scooter's design and Wheelfreedom's service. If ever I, or people I know, lose mobility in the future, I won't hesitate to use this service again or to recommend it.

The only drawback in all this was that I had to return my little buggy - it was quite a wrench. Renting it had hugely improved the quality of my daily life.

The only improvement I can suggest is that the chairback should be fitted with some method of fixing it at a chosen angle.

Cherie Etherington-Smith (Mrs)