Data Quality

Darleith's review of Ancestry.com www.ancestry.com

“Data Quality”

Written on: 14/06/2013 by Darleith (1 review written)

I love the scanned original images with which to work. The hints feature has lots of good links to original data but also has links to an enormous amount of rubbish. There are professional genealogists who use the site for the original data but then are the copy/paste merchants who just seem to want to have the biggest tree and copy everything without giving it too much thought. I got no problem with what they to their own trees but get really annoyed when I am swamped with their rubbish posing as hints. The other great bug-bear - not every town in the world and every country in the world has USA after it. I suggest for those American members they occasionally use as atlas or google maps. I also think a lot of transcription is being done by machine without much checking as the spelling error and just plain rubbish is found on heaps of things. I am now leaving comments on those things I find in order to correct them (complete with sarcastic remarks because I'm over it). I'll still continue with my worldwide subscription but retrict myself to original images.