abysmal delivery service

Guest's review of Currys - www.currys.co.uk

“abysmal delivery service”

Written on: 25/10/2013

After visiting Curry's and a few local electronic showrooms I made my decision on a new oven to replace my existing unreliable one. My usual practice is to select a particluar product and then search online to see if I can get it any cheaper. The oven was an expensive but excellent make, was not stocked by many online stores and came up at the same price everywhere.
I selected Curry's to purchase from because it advertised a flexible delivery service. I have purchased from them in the past and not experienced any problems.
The oven was expensive to start with, the kitchen also needed a bit of remodelling (arranged for Friday) and there was a cost attached to that so I selected the free delivery option which promised delivery in three days time (a Tuesday).
I swapped my day off at work and waited until after 10pm on Monday (as instructed) to log in and find my delivery slot..... a four hour window between 14:05 and 18:05 on Tuesday.
18:05 came and went as did 19:05. I rang 'know how' and waited in a 15 minute queue to be advised that the delivery driver had started late and was now in the process of telephoning the customers to rearrange a deleivery slot. I was not impressed but the call centre seemed powerless to help.
At 20:15 the delivery called to expalin that they wouldn't be delivering that evening but happily could bring it the next day! I explained the usual about taking a day off, no one being at home etc etc. There was no budging from the deleivery driver who continued t insist it would be delivered the next day and reminded me that if there was no one home to sign for the delivery it would be taken away. I asked for it to be deleiverd after 6pm when there would definitely be someone home.
On Wednesday there was a garbled telephone message which none of the household could make out but which we assumed had come from Curry's. The message indicator said 10:30. When my husband rang 'know how' (another 20 minute wait to be answered) they insisted they had tried to deleiver at 16:30. Either way we weren't home as I had indicated in the previous days conversation.
My husband was promised next day delivery (Thursday). We had little choice to accept this as we had arranged the kitchen fitters for Friday and had had no oven at all for five days now.
A time could not be guaranteed as I discovered when ringing them again when I got home from work. It was explained to me that it was a 'manual' delivery which meant it could be delivered anytime as and when it could be fitted in.
My husband took a day off work and the oven arrived at 18:15. 1 and 3/4 hours after he would normally have got home from work! In summary had we been able to select after 18:00 any day as an option neither of needed would have needed to take days off work.
Shocking delivery service, no stars is not an option so I've had to give it a one star review. I wonder had I selected the paid delivery option would it have been better?

• AEG free standing oven. £1,099