Disappointment with service

Guest's review of Wilkinsons Plus www.wilkinsonplus.com

“Disappointment with service”

Written on: 26/08/2013

I've been shopping in the Epsom Branch ever since it opened and I've always enjoyed the experience. That's why I've given an overall rating of five stars. However, today I brought three metres of different coloured flex. I asked for help with this and the assistant was very helpful. However, when I went downstairs to pay, the assistant (different from the first) asked me how much the flex cost. I told her I didn't know. I offered to go upstairs to check but asked if there was anybody available to go and check for me. Somebody was found. This lady returned and told me, in no uncertain terms "She said she told you it was 35 pence per metre". This was said in a very "snappy",disrespectful way. I said that a record of the different flex prices should be kept with the cashier. It should not be the responsibility of the customer to remember the prices of goods. Incidentally, I could have been unscrupulous and given a fictitious, much lower figure. To compound the matter,one of next items I wanted to buy (a light switch) was found not to have a bar code. The cashier said that if I wanted to buy this item she would have to go upstairs and check the price and the queue was building up. I agreed not to buy the item but pointed out that it was not my fault the item was minus its bar code. The customer behind me advised me to "Get on to the website and make a complaint. I think it's wrong". I didn't want to make this a public complaint because I've never experienced anything like this in Wilkinson's before, nor have I witnessed anyone else being mistreated. However, I couldn't find a suitable website to make contact privately. I did, however, feel I was being blamed for a situation that wasn't my fault and neither of the assistants seemed to be at all apologetic and seemed to feel I should feel remorseful for inconveniencing them. Apart from this, I love the store and will continue to shop there.

• Goods purchased & cost