Debenhams spoil special occasion......

Guest's review of Debenhams www.debenhams.com

“Debenhams spoil special occasion......”

Written on: 08/07/2014

MON 16.06.2014 was our 20th Wedding anniversary; this was supposed to be a very special occasion for us.
I was so happy when my Husband opened the gift that I had purchased for him, he was delighted with his new wrist watch, especially when he tried it on, and it fitted perfectly, which I thought was rather odd, because the one he had tried on in the Wrexham store was far too big, he thought that I had altered it for him, it was only when we realised the watch did not work, that we took out the instructions & guarantee, that we found the watch was actually second hand, it had previously been purchased in Llandudno, Wales on 27.11.2013, the links that had obviously been removed for previous owner were found in the box, with a stamped guarantee in a plastic bag, not what you would expect from Lorus or Debenhams!
I was so upset and embarrassed, it made my gift look like it had been purchased from a cheap second hand shop, totally spoiled a very special moment, I was so upset and angry, I immediately contacted Debenhams customer services, but was advised all systems were down, and to try again later.
Our special day was ruined, because I then had to spend the best part of it trying to get through to log my complaint.
Eventually when I did get through it was a total waste of time, because I was told that I had to complain in writing!
I was also expected to return watch to store myself, this I found very insulting and angered me furthermore, Debenhams were clearly at fault, and had totally ruined our special day, my time was taken up trying to get through to complain, now I was expected to chase this up myself!
To add further insult to injury, I was told the watch was now out of stock, and I would have to wait for my refund, therefore not only was my Husband without a gift, I was out of pocket, until I receive my refund, and now I was expected to go out looking for a replacement gift, this is totally unacceptable!
It is absolutely disgraceful that a store such as Debenhams can deceive their customers into buying second hand goods. I was given a feeble excuse that it was a mix up in the warehouse! How can a returned watch get mixed up with new stock?
When putting watch into original packaging for return, I noticed the Debenhams bag had previously been cellotaped not sealed like new, clearly a return!
I have taken detailed photographs and copied this email to Debenhams & returns warehouse, they even rejected my honest & factual review, beware there is no transparency in their use of reviews!

• Gents Lorus Wrist Watch