Alpha Inferno Review

Guest's review of Palicomp - www.palicomp.co.uk

“Alpha Inferno Review”

Written on: 19/08/2013

I purchased this system in April after reading press reports. The web site was easy to use and I customized my machine with a better looking case and some quieter components. I also went for a high spec on RAM as I was looking for a fast gaming machine (funny that as I only play Quake 3 on line and old machine was still okay). I really wanted the option of Windows 7 and a SSD for fast boot ups.

Placed order and waited. I was soon telephoned by the company, clearly with a view to up-selling me from my selection of basic back to base warranty. I agreed to this when they reduced the price of the warranty and threw in a clutch of extra games.

On arrival I thought the box was poor quality (weak) and it raised my concerns. On opening the box I found a number of things that immediately concerned me. I ordered a combo drive but had two singles installed. Some of the free games were missing. I could not understand why there was a USB cable on a lead poking out of the back? On trying to plug my speakers in I found the Audigy sound card was missing. No paper work to explain any of this so not a happy bunny having spend £1,000.

I rang and e-mailed the customer service. I had prompt, informative and respectful support, explaining that the combo drives were out of stock and that I should plug the usd in to enable the USB3 slots on front of case. hey should have informed me in advance of these points in my opinion. The sound card and games were errors - games codes quickly sent through and then the card which I fitted (they offered card cost refund as another option).

I then encountered a problem whereby if I plugged in more than 2 USB devices (keyboard and mouse) the system would crash. I spent what must have been an hour on the phone with technical support who talked me through fault finding, we eventually found that a jumper was on the wrong pins and all was fixed. The agent was excellent, competent and patient with me as I grovelled on the floor trying to move wires about.

I had seen some customer feedback that said Pailcomp took your money and then were unhelpful but my experience was the opposite. Phones and e-mails answered promptly and problems solved. There should have been fewer problems, but at the end of the day I have a fantastic system at a great price and would certainly recommend the company and its products.

• Alpha Inferno ca. £1k