After 30 Years of Abstinence I'm a pal of Palicomp.

Guest's review of Palicomp - www.palicomp.co.uk

“After 30 Years of Abstinence I'm a pal of Palicomp.”

Written on: 22/03/2013

A word about my review title. In 30 years of computing when I started with a rubber key ZX Spectrum (ah the memories come flooding back) I have never written a review of any of the various companies I have dealt with. Those little smoothies at Palicomp have finally taken my virginity (be gentle guys) !

I was actually led to them by a very positive review of one of their base machines in a well known computer magazine to which I subscribe. After spending a couple of years finding more and more games that I really wanted to play completely beyond my basic little desktop setup, or running at the speed of an arthritic tortoise with poorly feet, I finally took the plunge and began to look in earnest for a halfway decent (i.e. faster) model.

Truth to tell I am about as technical as a herring's testicle and thus I found nothing but conflict and outright confusion in the jungle of information I ended up bombarding myself with. Not a good experience as it ended up leading me nowhere. Finally I checked out Palicomp on the strength that i had NEVER seen such a positive review as the one mentioned above. The machine being described seemed to be the kind of thing I was looking for.

The site proved simple to navigate and contained details of all their base models with a option to configure your own version of these to suit your own needs, taste and budget.

I set to with a will; maxing out the memory to 32G and choose a 3G ATI Radion Graphics Card from the various models available. Though I hadn't a clue what I was actually doing the resulting price quoted suited my budget so I took a deep breath and placed the order.

Slight problem. I was telephoned by Palicomp the following day to finalise details of my order and point out that my new system would require a bigger power supply and Windows 7 Professional in order to operate. Bum! This cost me another £100 to resolve and could have been avoided if the Palicomp site flagged up compatibility issues like this when the customer made their selection. I Have repeated this suggestion to Palicomp several times but cannot say if they intend to implement such a change.

In addition the situation wasn't helped by the fact that the sales guy on the phone tried to offer me a deal on additional memory when a cursory examination of my order would have told him that I had already asked for the maximum possible. This isn't a crucial issue by any stretch of the imagination but ended up making him look a bit of a nerk. I was then offered a deal on a games package which I again declined. Quite apart from anything else , I was already over budget.

Once the order had been clarified I was told the delvery details and everything discussed was duly confirmed in an email.

The package arrived within 48 hours (could have been 24 but my memory isn't up to it) I can absolutely confirm that I was impressed by the speed of the delivery as I had been expecting a wait of at least 7 days.

Setting up was a doddle, even for a relative ejit like me, and the lady in question was soon gleaming away at me from the top of my desk. What a beast! (I think I am in love I'm just not sure it's a) possible or b) legal).

First the good news. Playing games was everything I had hoped for and more. I have even ended up working through my old games collection as opposed to playing the new stuff I had bought. Dragonage in full detail is something to behold. It was like playing a different game. Likewise Farcry. Dragonage 2 ran to the max like something flying off a greasy stick. I repeat I love this machine and I want all its children.

Now the niggles. The package arrived without the software necessary to make the Blu Ray disc player work. I must add that this was soon resolved by Palicomp but even after installation the player is still not working properly.

In Palicomp's favor I can say that we have been in constant communication about this and all my questions have been replied to within 48 hrs and more often than not 24 hrs.

Their current suggestion is that I disable the overclock on my graphics card but again, given that they built the machine, could this problem not have been forseen? It's only a minor point but I purchased a machine with an overclock. If I can only run the machine with this turned off than I do not have what I actually bought.

Anyway I will shortly be following the support team's detailed instructions on how to remove the overclock. I may be some time so don't wait up for me!

• Palicomp Alpha Excite with upgrades cost £1100

Elroch's Comment

Written on: 25/06/2013

Are you sure they didn't mean leave the overclock on the CPU, but decouple the graphics card (i.e. run that at its specified speed).

Witless's Comment

Written on: 25/06/2013

They may very well have meant just that. Unfortunately I have been ill of late and unable to follow this through yet. There also appears to be another problem emerging. The dreaded blue screen complete with warning from microsoft is a regular visitor to this machine which is an absolute first for me.

Thanks for your interest by the way. Good to know that somebody reads this stuff!