Excellent personal service all round

notdeadfred's review of Palicomp - www.palicomp.co.uk

“Excellent personal service all round”

Written on: 11/11/2012 by notdeadfred (1 review written)

I was very happy with the service and support I received from Palicomp, both before and after sales, and despite a couple of "hiccups" I am very pleased with my new Alpha Phase PC.

The response from Sales to my web order was quick, friendly and helpful, and reassured me that my order was receiving good attention. When I had to, for unforeseen reasons, change the agreed delivery date, this was also amended quickly with no fuss, and adhered to.

The 2 hiccups I referred to were :

1. On first operation, the Blu-Ray/DVD drive would not open. I called customer support who patiently talked me through checking that the power and SATA cables were properly connected, after which the drive worked fine.

2. Then after a few days, and more seriously, the PC started to shutdown without warning and would sometimes not recognise the SSD so would not reboot. I suspected either a faulty drive or a power issue, and after a number of calls to and several test procedures with the excellent support team, it was agreed that it was most likely a faulty PSU. A replacement unit was immediately sent to me, which arrived next day. I fitted it straight away and there have been no problems since.

Whilst obviously it would have been better to have had no problems in the first place, I was really impressed with the personal support service I received from Jay and James - if things do go wrong, this is the way to respond! I even got an immediate refund to my credit card of the return postage for the faulty PSU.

The PC has performed perfectly ever since, and I would certainly not hesitate to buy from Palicomp again. I have already passed all their details to a friend who is looking to upgrade soon.

• Palicomp Alpha Phase (Ivy 3)

Redbarron's Response to notdeadfred's Review

Written on: 12/11/2012

I'm a little surprised that you felt the need to fix the problems yourself. Personally I feel it should be down to Palicomp to rectify any issues within warranty. You wouldn't buy a new car and then start fixing things yourself under warranty would you!

And unless their technical support is a free phone number (which I doubt) it doesn't take long to run up a large phone bill going through various test procedures to get to the bottom of a problem.

But on the other hand, I guess if it was a simple fix then at least you are not without a PC for several days by doing it yourself.

I know when I had problems after purchasing my current computer many years ago, the PC supplier sent round a free lance technician that they use to fix it. More convenient for everyone.

Notdeadfred's reply to Redbarron's Comment

Written on: 12/11/2012

I didn't "feel the need" to fix the problems myself - I chose to do so.

Palicomp's standard warranty includes a free collect and return service in the first 7 days to allow for such malfunctions on product delivery. I was offered this solution by the support team and could have used it.

But as you say, this would have meant losing the PC for at least 3 days, which I was reluctant to do as this was an intermittent issue and I was still able to use it for spells between the occasional power outs (with frequent saves of my work!)

Having carried out numerous PC repairs and upgrades over the years these fixes held no fears for me, so I opted for the alternative offer of fitting the replacement PSU myself. I accept that this would not be practical for everyone.

The phone calls were not a problem as they were covered by my calls package with BT and weren't unduly lengthy.

But you're right, I certainly wouldn't do the same with a new car!