Good product

paul4001's review of PC Specialist www.pcspecialist.co.uk

“Good product”

Written on: 14/06/2013 by paul4001 (1 review written)

I found PC Specialist through googling and was impressed by the choice of configuration when building a desktop. I decided I didn't need monitors so just ordered the PC unit and a power surge protector.

Kit arrived within the estimated delivery window - about 10 days for me. I set it up and did find some niggling annoyances. The sticker with activation code for Windows 8 was stuck on the side of the PC casing. Took me a while to spot it having expected it to be stuck on packaging for the Win8 DVD. The power lead for the unit didn't fit snuggly into the unit so I had a few instances of the PC restarting itself without shutdown, reporting that the surge unit had detected a power failure. I decided to swap the power lead for another I already had which seemed to fit better. No big deal but a slight annoyance.

I then found that the graphics card had three inputs, VGA, DVI-D and mHDMI. I have to admit I didn't pay enough attention to the connectors on my current two monitors when ordering graphics card. My fault. I just assumed they would fit. They were VGA with DVI-I converters. As the new card was DVI-D and only one of, I had to settle for plugging one of my existing monitors into the VGA input. If I'd done a bit more homework before ordering, I'd have prepared better.

After calling the PC Specialist service desk for advice, ended up buying a new DVI-D HD monitor, so running that and one of the old VGA monitors. Happy enough with that. So make sure you've checked graphic card options before ordering.

One other issue that occurred was persistent critical errors on startup but these have now stopped. Don't know if there was issue there or not but PC running well now after a week.

Overall, pretty happy.