Don't bother - horrendous Customer Service for online orders

Natalia_g85's review of River Island www.riverisland.com

“Don't bother - horrendous Customer Service for online...”

Written on: 15/05/2013 by Natalia_g85 (1 review written)

I ordered a 'web exclusive' dress as a gift for someone. I was initially put off by the delivery charge for 3 - 5 days, you could usually get Next Day Delivery for the cost on another retailers site. But I paid.

A few days passed and still no item, no money deducted from my account. Then an email arrived to say my item had been despatched. The email contained a link to allow you to track your item, the delivery site told me my item was 'waiting to be despatched'. Next thing I knew, at around 10pm on a Sunday night, I had an email to say "Sorry you've returned your item, you will be refunded". How did I return to item I never received that had never even been despatched?

I emailed the Customer Service team and was advised that for "unforeseen circumstances" the parcel had been returned. Ok, no problem, could you resend the parcel for next day delivery (surely they'd want to keep a customer happy)? No they told me - you need to reorder the item. A little put out by this, I highlighted that this was not my error and they should be doing a little more to help. The advice I was given was to make sure I gave an alternative delivery option, like leave with a neighbour. Thanks Ben, if you read my previous order details, you'll see I left that option and advised you of that.

I asked for a discount delivery code at very least to soften the blow of the inconvenience - No they told me, codes are only available for special promo days.

What happened to pleasing the customer?

• Dress £39.95