River Island customer services is awful

Guest's review of River Island www.riverisland.com

“River Island customer services is awful”

Written on: 13/11/2012

I don't often leave reviews but the service I've received from RI has prompted me to air my views. I recently ordered two items totalling £125. They didn't fit so I returned them and obtained proof of posting. After a week of not hearing anything (no email or refund) I contacted RI customer services who said they wouldn't even look into it until 28 days after posting. Right, OK, I decided to wait a couple more weeks and try again. After three weeks, I phoned again to see if they could at least tell me if the parcel had been received. No luck. I think i got the same guy on the phone. An,d this time, he decided that I'd need to wait 28 WORKING days after posting. I said I thought that was unacceptable, to which his reply was 'our terms and conditions are on the website' (actually the website just says 28 days, not 28 'working' days). Again, he wasn't prepared to help.

Today I phoned again - knowing that I'm on day 29 and a different agent confirmed that they hadn't received the parcel. She gave me a case number and asked me to send a letter with the origianl proof of posting to the customer services desk in London. I won't be sending the original - the parcel got lost and so could this. Then I'd have no way of getting back the £125 I paid.

I know these things can happen but it's the overall attitude and unhelpfullness of the contact centre staff that have made me so cross. The first agent wasn't prepared to help in any way and didn't even ask me for an order number. while the second agent didn't seem to know what advice to give me. When i asked for an address to send the proof of posting to, her response was: River Island, London, W5 1DR. it would probably get there, but I had to find the street address myself. Also, when I was on the phone to the second agent, I could hear shouting and laughing in the background - so unprofessional. God knows if I'll get my money back. One thing's for sure, I wont be shopping online with River Island again. The thought of having to ring their contact centre if something goes wrong.....no thanks.

• Goods purchased & cost