Beautiful dress - but be careful!

Guest's review of DIY Dress www.diydress.co.uk

“Beautiful dress - but be careful! ”

Written on: 09/07/2013

I stumbled across DIYdress.co.uk when I was looking for an evening dress for a May Ball. I looked up all of the dresses and found one I loved, so I went ahead and ordered it to be custom made, therefore arriving in the time the website states. So I waited and waited...it was nearing the time the website said, so I went on Live Chat on their website, reminded them about my dress and when I needed it for and they said it would definitely be here for that date. I decided, out of curiosity, I would have a look around at the reviews for this website. My heart dropped on several occasions. Dresses arriving late, not arriving at all and dresses that were poorly made were amongst the reviews I read. I wondered if my dress was even going to turn up, I thought I had been scammed. YAY. Eventually, it came (before the date, true to their word). I tried it on and it was beautiful. Absolutely stunning dress. So I was happy and set for the May Ball, thinking that was the end of that transaction/order. Then, about a month later, I got a Duties, Tax and VAT invoice, saying I had to pay another £20 for having it imported. I was gutted. After finding a dress that I thought was a good price, I had to pay another £20. I was annoyed at the fact this website do not advertise that the dresses are made in China clearly enough, especially with a '.co.uk' web address. After paying the invoice amount, I looked on the website to find IN VERY SMALL PRINT, a page, explaining about the duties, VAT and taxes. So, if you're willing to pay the duties, then go ahead and use this website. However, if you're not, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Although the dress was nice, it wasn't worth the price and the duties charges. I guess all I'm saying is PLEASE READ THE FINE PRINT ON THE WEBSITE. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else as unexpectedly it did to me.

• Goods purchased & cost