Messed up sizing & a huge reduction in quality recently

Guest's review of Boden www.boden.co.uk

“Messed up sizing and a huge reduction in quality recently”

Written on: 03/02/2012

I always used to rely on Boden for good quality cute kids clothing in good fabrics and with a bit of growing room but things appear to have gone a bit wrong at Boden.

There are two main issues, quality of fabric and sizing. the fabric quality had diminished massively. It is now much thinner and shrinks massively, this shrinkage is not accomodated in the sizing either. The other issue is their sizing of clothing, I refer to kids clothing as I don't buy their adult clothing due to being tall and their adult women's clothes are too short for me. Their children's clothes seem to have slipped into some sort of sizing chart which doesn't relate to human kids. It can be as much as 3 sizes out with jersey items (t shirts and night wear)and rather strangely proportioned. An example is a pair of Pyjamas we bought recently. I bought size 5 for my 3 r old having heard they were snug in style. My 3 yr old is average sized and even a bit small in some dimensions, he is still wearing 18-24 months and 2-3 trousers in other brands. The size 5 pyjamas were so tiny. Skin tight and very short. They would probably fit a 2 yr old.

We also discovered a similar problem with my eldest. Boden had been our go to because their clothes tend to be nice fabrics and nicely sized to allow a bit of growing room. My daughter is tall and very slim, I generally upsize to accomodate her height and get limited to a few brands that will stay up and not be massively wide. Boden used to be the place for her T shirts and play trousers but I got a shock ordering her new T shirts, already upsized a size for height they were so short in the sleeve and body. Around 1-2 sizes smaller than past years for the same size.

It is just so strange and Boden are at risk of killing their reputation if they don't sort it out. I have switched to buying Lands End for the moment and occasionally pick up second hand Boden from a few years ago.

• Various kidswear

Germangirl's Comment

Written on: 28/02/2014

I´m from Germany. I´ve got many reasons to be disappointet about boden.
Especially in your case, I do totally agree, the shirts for my 10 year old boy are much too thight and too long and I wrote irocanilly on the Rücksendeschein =Formular when you are sending items back as a personnel comment if the children in England are all giants and magersüchtig (bulemia or so, don´t know the englisch word this Moment, annorexia would fit too, I suppose)
I goodbyed boden ,I told them to send me no catalogues anymore.
Sorry for my bad english, I wrote without dictionary and am not used in it.