Such Terrible Customer Service

maggiemgm's review of Alight Plus Size Clothing - www.alight.com

“Such Terrible Customer Service”

Written on: 20/09/2012 by maggiemgm (1 review written)

I ordered a formal dress from Alight and, in the stressful craziness that followed, I confirmed multiple times that I provided my correct shipping address. For whatever reason, they sent the package to a zip code that was one number off. Watching the tracking, I saw that the package bounced around LA (in the 90057 zip code rather than 90017) and was then returned to sender. So I called them and asked how quickly they could get it back to me since the event was approaching quickly. They said they needed my correct address and I provided it (again) and I again mentioned that I was worried it wouldn't arrive in time. They didn't address my concerns but said they would re-ship it. They sent it out Ground, so it took another week to arrive--23 days in all, although they said it would take 6-9 days.

After the dress arrived two days after the event (and after I'd rushed out to buy a last minute replacement), I wrote to them and said I needed to return it and requested a mailing label. Their website indicates that they pay for return shipping if the return is due to their error. I received no response to my initial email, so I tried their instant chat feature. I spoke to someone named Norman who was probably as rude as you can imagine. He repeatedly insisted that they'd labeled the package correctly (as if he had any way to know this) and that the USPS just refused to deliver it for some reason. This went on for a while and he was rude and short, obstinately insisting the error was not their fault so they would not pay for the return shipping. Eventually I called 1-800-ASK-USPS while I was still chatting with Norman. They were able to provide the city, state, and (incorrect) zip code where the package was originally mailed. Only then, unable to deny that the most rational explanation was the truth, did Norman agree to reimburse me for the lowest price return shipment (they will not pay for certified mail! or insurance!) if I sent them the bill. Then he went off again about how they'd made no error and they'd used the same address both times. I asked him why the USPS would not deliver a properly addressed package but he had no response.

Even much less expensive companies (like Amazon) take responsibility for their errors and rush packages when they need to re-send something a second time. Alight had several chances to provided good customer service and ensure I either received my dress in a timely manner or was given a full refund. After a half dozen emails, a week of watching the USPS tracking web site, a last minute rush to replace the late dress, and that dreadful 22 minute chat with Norman, I will never put myself through doing business with this company again.

• An evening dress for $189.00 (on sale)

• A few weeks late

Alight's Response to maggiemgm's Review

Written on: 01/10/2012

We sincerely aplogize for your disatissfaction and inconvenience. We have been in business for 13yrs and we do pride ourselves in your satisfaction. It was definitely human error (the zip code was wrong) and unfortunately this happens. Again, we strive for excellence and want you to know that we aplogize again. Contact us anytime to discuss further. Thank you.