ASOS USA has major flaw in account/zip code data!!

amandacdn's review of ASOS - www.asos.com

“ASOS USA has major flaw in account/zip code data!!”

Written on: 31/01/2014 by amandacdn (1 review written)

I tried to order a dress though the ASOS US site. I created my account and placed the order, however the order was declined. I tried different cards, and even tried creating a second account. Then I saw what the problem was... there was a space in my address zip code. I attempted to edit/correct my account data several times. It didn't work. The space was still there. I contacted ASOS customer support and explained the issue. Their response was that their zip code field is set with a default 6 characters, so a 5 digit zip code will have a space in it.

For any Americans used to ordering items online with a credit card, you will know that most (good) credit card companies will use the extra measure of verifying the billing address zip code with the card owner's billing zip code before processing the payment. It's a fraud prevention measure. Therefore, a space in the zip code field will ALWAYS result in a declined/failed purchase.

I tried to explain this to ASOS customer service, but they didn't "get" what I was saying and just told me to contact my card company. I have over 40 items in my ASOS "wish list" and will NOT be contacting my credit card company any/every time I attempt to make a purchase just because ASOS isn't intelligent enough to change their US account zip code fields to 5 character limits.

I won't give my money to stupid companies. I'll just keep finding the same dresses on eBay. Thanks ASOS. :P

• Goods purchased & cost

Visit asos.com

Asos.com's Response to amandacdn's Review

Written on: 03/02/2014

Hey, I'm so sorry to hear you've experienced this much trouble trying to place an order with us. Like one of our advisors said previously, every time you enter in your zip code, our system will automatically enter a space in between. This won't affect your delivery and definitely shouldn't affect being able to place an order by using your credit card. If you'd like, I could give you some different methods to try out, see if that works for you? If you'd like me to run through something's with you, ping over a message to our Facebook (search ASOS) or our Twitter Just mention this review. Hope to hear from you soon. ASOS Char

Asos.com's Response to amandacdn's Review

Written on: 04/02/2014

Hey, so sorry that you've been having trouble placing an order with the zipcode lay out. So I can get this looked into for you and hopefully improved please can you pop a screen shot over to us via the 'contact us' section of the website? Sorry again and fingers crossed we can get this sorted for you. ASOS Sarah

Amandacdn's reply to Asos.com's Comment

Written on: 04/02/2014

ASOS,
Thank you for at least believing me. Others at ASOS (via email on ASOS "Contact Us") and ASOS(comment on this review) seem to think I'm lying/stupid.
I'm sure I can't be the only American who's had trouble ordering on the ASOS site due to this zip code issue.
Please see the below links for additional info about the Address Verification System (AVS) utilized for credit card purchases in the US.
[removed]

I really hope ASOS can fix the U.S. customer zip code to a default of 5-digits instead of 6... I know I won't be calling my bank every single time I want to buy a dress.
Hope this helps.