For price : great. For sales tactics : very bad

elevation's review of SLRHut www.slrhut.co.uk

“For price : great. For sales tactics : very bad”

Written on: 02/04/2013 by elevation (24 reviews written)

Slrhut isn't a website name that exactly trips off the tongue. Their title infers they're a photography specialist but in fact they themselves call themselves an "electronics store". Their main stock, however, does appear to be cameras, camcorders and the like. The site is very easy to navigate, and with my order of a Panasonic FZ200 came a rather generous free photographic starter kit - comprising of things like a USB card reader, 4Gb SD Card, mini tripod, and lens cleaning stuff. Also a stylus was included - which was rather random. Luckily I was able to remove this from the list of free items. The price for the camera itself was very competitive - about £334 - versus at least £410 everywhere else (legit) online - yes including Amazon. However, as we all know by now, with pleasure, there must always be pain. The cheapest postage option was £14.95 - and this came with a delivery estimate of 7-10 working days. Agony if you're as impatient as I am. The fastest delivery option is an eye-watering £39.95 - and that isn't even next working day - it's stated as 2-3 working days. Patience was finally my strong arm here, as paying out for that would have pushed the price back up to other sites anyway - some of which charge nothing for basic postage. So in all the camera cost me £349.99 - still a good deal for such a recently released camera. All was going well. Right up until the e-mail arrived asking me to "please call this number regarding your order". At first I thought my debit card had been declined but it wasn't that. Through one of the worst quality telephone lines I've ever heard, I vaguely heard the salesperson, who inbetween calling me "my friend" at the end of every other sentence (sales people take note: this is really cringeworthy, please stop) started banging on about a spare battery and charger for the camera. I believe he also mentioned the spare battery gave an extra 10 minutes battery life. Well, that was me unsold. After me essentially saying "yes" and "right" in the right places, it came to the end and the summary of the final charge : "so just to confirm the total comes to £384.95". WHAT???? I expressed my puzzlement, and asked him to confirm whether the starter kit was in fact free. He said the starter kit was free, "the battery and charger are not". Thus I of course asked for them to be taken off.
This was my first purchase off Slrhut, and after pulling a stunt like that, it will be my last. No matter how competitive your prices are, asking you to call THEM, meaning of course it's your phone bill, in order to then try and sneak on an extra £40 of stuff on the order is not a stunt that's going to lead to further sales. On every single site I've ever used, the price when I've clicked on "Submit" has been the price I've expected to pay. I don't expect to be worried it's suddenly going to be changed on the sly.

• Panasonic FZ200 - £353.95