Bought 4 cameras, 3 lenses, 3 cameras fine, one not...

Guest's review of Pro Camera Shop - www.procamerashop.co.uk

“Bought 4 cameras, 3 lenses, 3 cameras fine, one not...”

Written on: 27/09/2013

Firstly let me say I have bought 4 cameras from this shop in about 3 years. Also a range of lenses canon 24-105, sigma 30mm and(i cant even remember which other!) Before my latest experience I would have recommended them wholeheartedly, and I have done so.

I have compared my camera's against that of friends who have purchased from Jessops and can find no difference - accept for the price, and the lack of a thousand languages in the menu, so I have always been happy with their products, service has been great and straight forward and the price has been fantastic.

However my latest (and most expensive purchase) has fallen well below par in quality. I bought a canon 5d11, when it arrived the box was slightly open, i reported this to PCS straight away who said it was not a problem, sometimes the boxes get damaged int he warehouse. After checking the camera, i also noticed that the shutter count was not on zero (or anywhere near) again PCS explained this away saying this was common on cameras and did not mean it had been used, I checked some reviews online and found other users had had these issues with some new bodies, so this put my fears aside. However a little while after getting my camera and with very little use, one of the mirrors fell out of the centre of the camera, for no reason....no drop, no knock, simply picked it out of my camera back, went to use it, and upon looking through the viewfinder, realised something was very wrong.

I contacted PCS who responded straight away, however refused my request for a replacement, but offered a repair, and to pay for the P+P. This was repaired. Now a number of months later, the focusing plate did the same thing, dropped out while changing lenses.....a quality camera needing to be repaired twice in one year....how dodgey does this sound?

I tried to contact PCS, but their website had disappeared! I had an old email from them, send a message there, and got a response after a few days, saying to send it to be repaired IF it was still under warranty, turns out it is a few days out. I am pursuing a replacement / refund under my consumer rights, as I do not think this body is fit for purpose. Alarm bells were ringing from the beginning and these further problems have only made them ring louder....

Three good experiences, one bad, judge for yourself....my saga continues ....

• Goods purchased & cost

Reportedtotradingstandards's Comment

Written on: 28/09/2013

The reason most boxes have been opened, is to remove the manufacturers warranty card.

They don't have a warehouse in this country, these grey goods are just shipped in from Hong Kong/China (sometimes mis-labelled to try to avoid duty) then posted out via a middleman.

New cameras are ALL zero actuations!
If yours wasn't, you were sold a pre-owned camera, possibly a returns/repaired model. (you aren't alone though).
This seller has also supplied cameras with fake serial numbers.

Good luck with your warranty claim., I hope you get it sorted.