Cheap & trustworthy

scyrene's review of Pro Camera Shop - www.procamerashop.co.uk

“Cheap and trustworthy”

Written on: 06/09/2013 by scyrene (1 review written)

I did have concerns initially on visiting this website. The prices seemed too low, the layout was a bit basic, and the extra discount (3%) for payment by bank transfer sounded especially dodgy. However, I took a risk, and was pleasantly surprised. I've since bought quite a few products from them - mostly lenses, but also a camera body, and only had one less than perfect experience, when they delivered the wrong item. They quickly replaced it and gave me a small free gift as an apology. Their prices are liable to fluctuate, so it pays to watch the items you're after for a few weeks or months and take advantage of the best deal when you can - but even at the high prices, you're saving a lot compared to other retailers. Delivery usually within a few working days, never more than a week.

People saying they are dodgy, I can't really understand - I've never had a problem with them. However, at the end of August 2013 all their products seemed to increase in price a lot (~20%) - hopefully this is just a temporary variation. Second, their website has been unavailable for a couple of days at the start of September. Again, I hope this is temporary.

Overall, well worth it. Don't be afraid to pay by bank transfer and save even more.

• Camera equipment amounting to >£15000.

Reportedtotradingstandards's Response to scyrene's Review

Written on: 06/09/2013

They shut up `shop` over a week ago & haven't been taking orders for longer than that. They will probably emerge again somewhere.

Is this a genuine review? It contains so much bs it's laughable.
Do some proper searches online about this seller.
You should NOT be recommending potential buyers pay anyone by direct bank transfer, especially when they are not a UK company.

Scyrene's reply to Reportedtotradingstandards's Comment

Written on: 06/09/2013

This is absolutely a genuine review and an accurate reflection of my feelings about this seller. I have, as I stated, bought a large amount of kit from them over the past year, so I don't need to 'do some proper searches'. Why would I not recommend a company that sold me what I wanted at a good price, and delivered it quickly? I'm sorry if you had a different experience, but just because you did doesn't mean every good review is phony. Attacking other reviewers because they don't agree with you is neither constructive nor polite.

Reportedtotradingstandards's reply to Scyrene's Comment

Written on: 06/09/2013

IF your review is genuine, fine. I'm not attacking other reviewers. All i'm doing is trying to point out to potential purchasers that not all positive reviews are as they seem & to dig a bit deeper on this Hong Kong seller, who actually doesn't have a good reputation.
Nor do they have a UK office or warehouse in the UK as they like to tell buyers.

They also point out on their site, in capital letters in their T&C's, the buyers responsibility to inform HMRC of your imported grey good and pay any VAT/taxes due.
That is a legal requirement for the buyer btw, no iffs no buts, otherwise you are breaking the law.

As far as yourself recommending people pay by direct bank transfer is madness. Folk should ALWAYS use a credit card!,regardless of saving a few quid by giving up any rights.
(how good are their warranties, protection & customer services, now they've gone?)

I am trying to be constructive by stating facts, whereas you seem to be upset somehow. Strange, especially when no one has been able to buy anything from them for about 9 days?

Scyrene's reply to Reportedtotradingstandards's Comment

Written on: 06/09/2013

Well I can't comment on a lot of that, as it diverges from my experience. They never said to me they weren't based in the UK - or else I would never have shopped with them. I certainly chose this seller at the start because they appeared to be legitimate, and as I say my experiences bore that out. Their bank account was a UK one, and the goods were dispatched from a UK location.

You say I'm upset, which is precisely the feeling I got from your comment. We'll just have to agree to differ - my experiences were good, and yours were bad. I do think it's a shame the website is down, especially if they will no longer be trading, as they were the cheapest option (until all the prices went up about a week ago).

Reportedtotradingstandards's reply to Scyrene's Comment

Written on: 06/09/2013

You say if you'd known about them not being in the UK, you probably wouldn't have used them.
This is the reason I have been trying to let others know + point out they really need to research sellers properly & not rely on certain sites & reviews.

It's been mentioned on a few photography forums recently that some of these non EU importers are being checked out by customs/HMRC regarding their tactics of seemingly avoiding paying VAT & import duties (possibly why p-shop haven't been selling for 10 days?) although they will no doubt be back operating before long.

I'm happy yourself & other buyers haven't had any problems, but please be aware there are many who haven't, even though their reviews & comments are more difficult to find because p-shop threaten sites & forums to get them removed.

My only aim is to give folk a few facts, then they can decide if they want to proceed.

All the best.