Good service although concerned at some reviews

teluk's review of Pro Camera Shop - www.procamerashop.co.uk

“Good service although concerned at some reviews”

Written on: 04/09/2013 by teluk (26 reviews written)

I had checked the reviews on Procamerashop before placing my order and had no worries when I discovered they were based in Carlisle and goods were shipped from the U.K. After placing the order for a Sigma lens I found some reviews which set all the alarm bells ringing saying the goods were grey imports and the company is not a U.K. company but from Hong Kong. (Check "conditions of use" at the bottom of their home page).

I had placed my order on the Monday (Sigma 18-250mm lens) and received the goods Friday as they need to do some type of security check which takes 2 days.
I phoned them a total of 3 times with various questions and each time the phone was answered promptly and a member of staff answered my questions. Procamerashop give you a 12 month warranty with them and you receive emails with the progress of your order.
The goods arrived well packaged, brand new but without the original Sigma warranty, but at a minimum it was £50 cheaper than anywhere else and maximum was £140!

They won't take orders over the phone so you have to sign up to Google Wallet which was another concern I had in order to pay or you can do bank transfer which I was not prepared to do as you have no card cover if you pay that way, however I believe your order is shipped quicker.
You can return the goods within 14 days for a refund if you don't want it –just read the delivery and returns section.

I do feel that their website could make people aware that the goods are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty as this was a concern.
My experience with this company has been very good although I cannot comment on the returns or warranty side of it (and hopefully won't need to)
It does mention in there terms being liable for any import duty but as this is coming from a warehouse in the U.K. I am assuming I won't get any nasty surprises.

Would I recommend them –yes
Would I use them again – yes.

• £

Reportedtotradingstandards's Response to teluk's Review

Written on: 04/09/2013

Don't count on returning stuff for a refund. 1 purchaser wasn't allowed a return even though the lens was faulty. He had to send to a general repairer of their choice.

Re import duty & VAT. The purchaser is liable to pay customs any duty & VAT. It is a legal requirement, no iffs no buts.

They don't have a warehouse in the UK, they have no presence at all.....Hong Kong pure & simple. Their orderline/phone is just a `virtual` office.
They use a middleman to distribute 5muggled goods to try to avoid paying VAT. hence the buyers responsibility to legally tell HMRC of your purchase.

The majority of negative reviews & comments get removed from sites because they threatened legal action. Hopefully now they seem to have gone (although likely to re appear) the negative comments will stay for folk to see.

Teluk's reply to Reportedtotradingstandards's Comment

Written on: 04/09/2013

My lens definitely came from a UK warehouse, it arrived in 4 days and has all UK postal marks. I have read a review that said they use a large distribution warehouse and don't think it would come from Honk Kong in such a short time.

Reportedtotradingstandards's reply to Teluk's Comment

Written on: 04/09/2013

Their grey stock comes from Asia mainly. Your purchase will not benefit from the manufacturers warranty & anyone who has bought from p-shop, won't even have their `warranty`.
Once imported to the logistics company by Smart Price Photo's (their parent `company`) they then advertise goods at around 20% cheaper than legitimate UK stockists. Hence the so-called saving.
If they aren't already in the UK their prices are usually quite expensive, because they don't know at that time if they've avoided VAT/duty.

It appears they & other suppliers, mislabel & under value goods on the declarations, which HMRC seem now to be investigating.

As you are classed as the importer when VAT/duty hasn't been paid, it is legally your responsibility to notify HMRC.
They may even be able to track down purchasers at a later date.

Some couriers are starting to ask for payments on delivery (+ collection fees) or you don't get your purchase & lose your money.
Another reason NOT to pay by Direct Bank Transfer, which p-shop heavily advertise.

Teluk's reply to Reportedtotradingstandards's Comment

Written on: 04/09/2013

Thanks for that, seems there is many things to consider, luckily I did not pay by Direct bank transfer

Reportedtotradingstandards's reply to Teluk's Comment

Written on: 04/09/2013

Glad to hear it. Get out shooting & enjoy your new lens