Amazing - go now

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

WendaS's review of Discover Egypt, Royal Viking

“Amazing - go now”

Written on: 22/06/2013 by WendaS (1 review written)

I don't want to write this review - I'm afraid that there will be no cabins left for my 2014 holiday- but here we go.
Ms Royal Viking is spacious, comfortable, organised and very beautiful. This was my third (yes third) year using the Royal Viking (via Discover Egypt). The staff are the most polite and helpful that I have ever come across, and are a credit both to themselves and the Viking Egypt Company.
Nothing is too much trouble.
They now have a private dock near Luxor bridge - I have to confess that this made me a little sceptical, in previous years we had docked in the heart of Luxor - but it was wonderful, and when docked in Luxor you can spend your evenings in their private garden where there is a small café selling Turkish coffee and speciality teas, without fear of hassle.
Trader hassle in Egypt seems no greater than previous years, although they no longer offer a trip to the Botanical Island in Aswan (which was beautiful) because it has become little more than a big market with traders constantly following you.
My friend and I wanted to experience a couple of things that were not on the set visit list (which was amazing, Philae Island is my new favourite)- afternoon tea at the Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan. Our Guide Hussein arranged for the ship staff to find us a horse drawn carriage, and for ten English pounds (the price was agreed BEFORE we started) our driver took us to the Hotel, waited for two hours and then returned us to the boat. It was beautiful, and if the Bird watching trip is not for you, and you want to see where Agatha Christie stayed when in Egypt, its a great visit.
We also went to the Winter Palace in Luxor for cocktails one evening - fabulous sitting in the garden drinking Gin Fizz. I do believe though that the Duty Manager thought that the two middle aged English women were truly mad...
The Royal Viking staff were amazing - so very patient with us when I miscounted my laundry time after time... yes, you can get your laundry done for a small fee. The cabin was cleaned and tidied beautifully twice a day, and the 'elephant' towel sculpture was my absolute favourite.
The evenings are full of entertainment - you can join in or not, but these evenings really 'break the ice' between passengers. Sadly my DVD did not survive the Easy Jet flight, so nobody will ever realise my belly dancing calling (not).
The food was great - the chefs are amazing - my favourite was the Egyptian themed meal - so good. The waiting staff are attentive without being intrusive, and although it is in a buffet style, they can't do enough for you.
Top -tip from me though, keep hydrated, don't lay in the sun all day drinking beer - you WILL get ill, and it will not have anything to do with the food, or flies landing on your beer bottle...... Duh.
The guides work for the travel company, and not the boat - third year, third guide, learnt so much more - thank you Hussein.
Thanks to the deck staff, who moved sun beds about for us, bought us drinks to our exacting requirements (which was often and many), and did this politely and with a smile (always).
For seven days we were Nile Royalty, and I can't wait for next year.

• 01/05/2013